Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

South Bend / Studebaker question "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Benny Courtney
posted
I purchased a 12 size watch with a good OF case the dial is a very plain South Bend, When I opened the case I found a 21j Studebaker movement. My question is should I try to find a Studebaker dial or was the South Bend dial correct?

Posts: 14 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: September 02, 2013
posted
SB research info

If you click the link above and look to the upper right and pick one of the catalog years you will see that it should have "Studebaker" on the dial. I also have a nice 12s 21j but it has a metal South Bend dial, so technically it is wrong.

Posts: 1797 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009
Picture of Benny Courtney
posted
Claude, Thanks for the help on my question. Being new to pocket watches I am learning a lot on this site, seeing the help members like you give to others.

Posts: 14 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: September 02, 2013
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Welcome to the Club Benny! Sadly, over their short life Studebaker-signed South Bend's metal dials did not hold up well. However, if you have a metal dial that fits, it should read STUDEBAKER on the dial.

You might Enquire to International Dial to restore it to that signature;

http://www.internationaldialco.../Public/Default.aspx

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Benny,

It comes to mind that Lindell has a few newly manufactured 12-size Studebaker dials and could either install one on your watch or supply one for your needs.

Debbie

Contact eMail: ihc185@roadrunner.com

Smile

Posts: 5239 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
posted
On the metal dials if the person had the older plastic crystals that yellowed, not only would the material out-gassing from the plastic when it broke down corrode the hands but it also played havoc on metal dials. South Bend made some extremely nice watches and the "Studebaker" branded ones were like the regular South Bend grades with some cut back in areas that did not impact performance, more metal dials, less effect on the movement more direct marketing, etc.

South Bend are very good watches and well worth collecting, I tend to be more informed on Elgins but I still enjoy learning about the other brands.

Welcome and hopefully you find this site a nice place to come and drink some coffee and chit-chat.

Posts: 1797 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009

posted
Funny one was traded in the other day...

Pretty cool one, too

Posts: 7178 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2011

posted
Lights out

Cool

Posts: 7178 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2011