Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

977 finds a home "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1016
posted
I got this 977 last spring and it was only a movement with a funcy dial made to turn it into an open face. I had Samie work it over and finally, with your help, was able to get it into a proper case. I should put a SS dial with the "Hamilton Watch Co." logo on it rather than this double sunk. I do have one and after thinking about it that would probably be correct. Your comments are welcome.

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007
IHC Member 1016
posted
The 16 jewel 977 movement SN 79,497

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007
IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
Mike let me be the first to congratulate you on a job well done. Samie and you did a fine job. As for the dial if you want it to be more correct I would change the dial but if you want it to be more pleasing to you then I would keep the DS dial on there. I think the DS dials are hard to beat when looking at a watch. If you ever sold it you could always put the SS dial on before you advertised it.

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
Nice and I like the moon hands on it.

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
IHC Member 1357
posted
Was browsing an old thread and found something "odd". The 977 grade I thought was a 16j.
movement. This movement appears to be stamped 17j.
Maybe my eyes playing tricks on me.

Roger

Posts: 4092 | Location: Carbon, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 24, 2010
IHC Member 1555
posted
The movement is stamped 17 Jewel Roger which is incorrect as some enterprising person has decided to make it look higher grade then what it actually is. Kinda detracts from the value and aesthetics of the watch Mike, what a pity.

Posts: 2264 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Well we all dropped the ball on this one 4 years ago and failed to "pick it off". But we see it now for what it is.

There were only 5,730 TOTAL PRODUCTION of the 16J Model 977 Pendant-Set watches made. This one was born Sept. 10, 1902 and sold to Allen & Co. Chicago, Ill. on Sept. 12, 1902.

Some folks just have way too much time on their hands to alter a low production watch such as this one !!

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
IHC Member 1016
posted
I'll have to look it over when I get back to Oregon at the end of the month. Never noticed this discrepancy.

IHC Member 1016
posted
Well now that I'm back with my watches I did, indeed, look it over and, yes, it has been stamped 17 Jewels. Not really sure why someone would do such a thing. It is done pretty well but ruins a collectible. Oh well. I do have another one that isn't stamped. I'm glad it got pointed out here as I had totally missed it.