WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Welcome Aboard IHC185™     Internet Horology Club 185    IHC185™ Discussion Site Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Horological Discussions, Questions and Answers  Hop To Forums  Pocket Watch Discussions    Which is more sought after-Illinois Bunn Special 60 hrs. before or after the Hamilton takeover?
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Which is more sought after-Illinois Bunn Special 60 hrs. before or after the Hamilton takeover? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Stephanie O'Neil
posted
I started a thread sometime back with regard to my Illinois Bunn Special 60 Hr. From those responses, it appears it was determined that my Illinois Bunn Special 60 Hr.is one of the last Illinois manufactured before the Hamilton takeover. Smile

Now I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
Which is more sought after, the Illinois Bunn Special 60 Hr before or after the Hamilton takeover? Confused And why? Confused I got the feeling from reading those threads, that my Illinois Bunn Special 60 Hr. is more desirable since it was the last Illinois produced before Hamilton took over. I could be wrong. Eek

Stephanie O'Neil
NAWCC Member 143979

Posts: 1419 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana USA | Registered: April 01, 2003
posted
Ok... Lets compare some apples first...

Bunn Special 16s Sixty hour.....

Three types

Type I, marked "motor barrel 60"

Type II, marked "sixty hour and motor barrel 60

Type III, marked "sixty hour"

Of these, only the "type III" shares production dates before and after the Hamilton purchase of Illinois.....

Of these, the least common of the 'types' are the I and II... based on existing production numbers.

Some collectors rely on production #'s for "desirability factor"

Now for the oranges......

The "numbered" 16s bunn specials [161,161e,161a,163,163e,163a,163b are of a 'typical' higher grade than the 'other' sixty hour bunn specials.

Now IMHO....

Of the apples, give me a type I or II anyday over the type III, I don't really consider PreH or postH as a factor

Of the oranges... any of em!

now apples vs oranges..... heck, I can't 'afford' some of the oranges!!

does this make sense?

posted
Hey Terry H,

Yes it makes sense. The oranges win huh? Big Grin I got a kick out of your explanation. Big Grin Well, if its any consolation, I cannot afford the oranges either! Frown I should be happy with my apple! Smile

Guess what? My brother-in-law will be in town tomorrow. I'm going to ask him to take digital pictures of my Bunn Special we've been threading about, and also my Hamilton 992Special. I think we will be able to put a lot of questions I've had to rest once I can get these pictures posted. Roll Eyes

I'm hoping he will be able to take decent shots of these pocketwatches. Roll Eyes Any suggestions? Confused

Stephanie O'Neil
NAWCC Member 143979

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted
Hey Stephanie,

I do have only a couple of those oranges. I'll be happy to share them with anyone who might find them interesting.

Wanna see?

Lindell

Smile

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Hey Lindell,

Yes, I definitely want to see your oranges! Smile Please share. Smile

Stephanie O'Neil
NAWCC Member 143979

IHC President
Life Member
posted
This is one of the "oranges" Terry mentioned above.

Serial Number 5456484 is a 163A Bunn Special Type II B with Elinvar on Train Bridge...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
posted
Here you see the difference between the green-gold Case 173, which houses the movement shown above, here on the left and yellow-gold very unusual Case Model 28 on the right. Look closely at the bow on the right, it is quite different. These are also two of the more desirable Illinois Bunn Special dials.

IHC President
Life Member
posted
Now to one of the "apples" Terry described. This is the watch shown on the right.

Serial Number 4492519 is a 23-jewel Bunn Special Type I Motor Barrel 60...

IHC President
Life Member
posted
Here's a box of Terry's "oranges" that sold for $70.00 in 1931.

Number 5448727 in Case 107 with both boxes, and it all matches up perfectly...

posted
Lindell,
Very beautifuly indeed! Wow!!! Cool

Stephanie O'Neil
NAWCC Member 143979