Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Appleton Tracy Model 1892 "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1357
posted
Appleton Tracy Model 1892

S/N 12542109=1903, pw/ls, adjusted, 17 jewels.

Good dial, clean movement, believe it would pass
a watch inspector's test!

Posts: 4092 | Location: Carbon, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 24, 2010
IHC Member 1357
posted

IHC Member 1357
posted

IHC Member 1555
posted
In 1903 Roger probably not for most, these are only 3 position adjustment, so more a "Trolley Grade" around that era.

Although in saying this, from memory there were a few Railroads like the "Santa Fe" line that was still accepting 3 position watches, also some watches were still allowed to be "Grandfathered" in on some lines if they fitted that criteria.

Posts: 2264 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011
IHC Member 665
posted
All true, but a very beautiful watch that would do all that would be expected of it.

Posts: 209 | Location: East Melbourne, Victoria, Australia | Registered: December 31, 2005
IHC Member 1357
posted
Agree they were a 3 position watch but will keep
RR time in 5 positions as many of the watches will.
Would not pass because it is rated 3 positions but
the time keeping would pass.

Roger

IHC Member 1555
posted
You are correct Roger as is John, they do keep RR time, a nice piece, early in 1902 Waltham were still advertising these as Railroad Watches. Late 1902 they were then starting to advertise the A.T & Co "Premier" which was adjusted to 5 Position to meet the Changing "Time Service" and Standards of some RailroadsSmile

The "Chesapeake & Ohio" line also I think were still accepting 3 position watches as late as 1907.

Collectors in a lot of quarters are still under the assumption that all railroad watches needed to be 21 jewel, double roller and lever set open face are not totally correct.

Other smaller lines were still accepting 17 Jewel, single roller and lever set watches as a "Standard Watch" as late as 1907 and probably later on some others.

In the earlier years Hunter watches were also accepted (some collectors still refute this due to the misconceptions that are out in the Collector World) and later, were still getting "Grandfathered" in to some of those smaller Lines as well.

Posts: 2264 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011
IHC Member 1110
posted
Nice A. T. Roger! I have just like it, close in serial number, same dial.They are a great watch.I can remember seeing an old ad reprint where at that time, probably before 1900, it was listed as " guaranteed to pass railroad inspection". Even though as Bila said, they were a 3 position watch, the one I have also keeps RR time. With all the grandfathering that went on, I'd bet they were on the rails for a long, long time. Take care , Ted.

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
Nice one Roger. I like AT&Co. watches also. I have a little over 20 of them but I think the only model 1892 I have is a 2 tone. I love the AT&Co. watches.

Harry

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011
posted
I have a first run AT&Co model 1892 (open face pendant set) where the name is spelled out in a simpler font that the later "gothic" script where the 'Tracy' looks like 'Trary' Also, I think my Canadian Pacific 17J '92 is same as AT&Co. The 1892s are some of my favorite movements.

Posts: 653 | Location: St Paul, Minnesota in the USA | Registered: May 04, 2004