• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

What lived in a case like this ? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Probably one for our Hamilton Gurus, but having just acquired this case I'm wondering what would be an appropriate movement to install.

10k GF Hamilton Star

Posts: 99 | Location: Surrey in the United Kingdom | Registered: June 01, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Is that a 12 size?

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
I don't have it in my hands yet, but it was described as 46mm ( I presume outside diameter )

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
It appears to be a 10-12sz case from the 46mm that you posted.

It is weird in a way, or not the norm Confused

In that it is marked 10K GOLD Smile

Most of the cases that were gold were 14K that Hamilton used.

From the picture, it appears to be white gold which should carry the 14K assay mark.

Interesting I would say & confusing......

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Gareth,

If that first digit in the number is a "P" then this is a comparatively late case.

The overall style is along the lines of a Hamilton-Star Model 15 Case that had a 1950 introduction and this case has that "1950s" or "1960s" look to it. Like Buster, the "10K Gold" marking looks odd to me but let's begin with confirming that case number which might help in narrowing it down. At that point we can check some catalogs and see if we get lucky.

I think I see "P719314" but cannot tell for certain, please confirm the number.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Well it looks as though I'll be kept in suspense until I have it in my hands and can post better pictures and confirm dimemsion ( 10s or 16s )

posted
OK the update

The case serial is P719314
It would also appear to be a 10S but a thin movement ( I have a 10S Riverside Colonial A which fits snugly )
Both the back and the case body are marked with the star symbol and 10K Gold and the base metal feels to be a light weight alloy.
The finish colour is definitely yellow not white gold.

posted
I think I have just found the answer (although I'm somewhat sceptical about the valuation)

A Hamilton 945 is currently listed on fleabay in an identical case albeit an 'R' prefix.

See Pitfalls for further details.