Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

2 tone seth thomas model 5 "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Robert((young man)) Big Grin here is one of the 2 tone movements i bought from you ,i finally got around to doing a service and staff job turned out pretty good i think.

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
Picture of Gary Morgret
posted
YEEEEEEEEOWZZEEEEEE Razz Razz Razz

Posts: 141 | Location: Northwest Ohio in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2003
IHC Life Member
Wristwatch Host
Picture of Tony Dukes
posted
Samie,
What a beauty of a movement.
Thanks for sharing with us. Smile

Posts: 1953 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: August 01, 2003
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Just look at that!!! Wow!

These things make you get goose bumps huh?

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
IHC Life Member
Picture of Robert V. Jones
posted
I have another one just like it you need a twin!! THis one is running though Smile

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006
IHC Life Member
posted
Well my other one is a little different!! Regulator spring broken you have one Samie

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006
IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
Robert & Samie,
I've been collecting data on these Model 5's for years, eventually I hope to be able to determine production quantities, variations, serial numbers not actually made, etc.
Could you post scans of the dials and give details on the cases, such as material, maker, grade and serial numbers?
Any other data on Model 5 Seth Thomas that collectors are willing to send me will be added to the database that Kent Singer and I maintain, and would be greatly appreciated. All Seth Thomas Model 5 movements have serial numbers from 200,000 through 400,000.

Ed Ueberall
IHC Member 34
The Escapement

Posts: 620 | Location: Pooler, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002
posted
Robert, I just read a post on another board whre they were discussing the whip springs on ST model 5's. Supposedly, this was a weak spot on the design and many of the springs on watches are broken. The discussion went on to say that these springs are tough to come by. So, if you find a source for one, I'd say grab it. Good luck on your search.

Tom

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
Ed
I will get a piture of the dial for you in the morning,I have a couple more of these one is the same 2 tone pattern and the other is a little different more like the one Robert posted up.

I have seen these listed on ebay as unmarked Maiden Lane watches (but) i Belive all Maiden Lane watches were marked Maiden Lane is that correct that all of them were marked Maiden Lane. Smile

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
Robert don,t know about the Regulator spring i will take a look if i have it,s yours. Smile

posted
Samie,
Yes, it has to be marked Maiden Lane.

I have also noticed that many of the Model 5's are really popular these days, and sell with, or without Maiden Lane on the movement, they also sell for a lot more than they did a year ago.

No question, the Series is so Beautiful with that damaskeening, that you just gotta love that Series.

Sheila

IHC Life Member
posted
Her is a picture of the dial on mine

IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
Robert,
Thanks for the scan of your dial. It appears to be a "double pressed" dial, one where both the center portion and the seconds bit are in a stamped depression, rather than being made of three seperate pieces, soldered together.

Sheila, you're right, these Model 5 movements are fascinating. Seth Thomas made them in a wide range of grades, from unadjusted gilt 7 jewel models with a plain regulator to 24 and 25 jewel finely finished movements, adjusted to either 5 or 6 positions. Both pendant and lever setting were made, but all were open face, no hunting full plate movements were ever made.

Ed Ueberall
IHC Member 34
The Escapement

Posts: 620 | Location: Pooler, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
Ed
good info i did not know that all model 5,s were open face no wonder i can,t find a hunting case example.more pictures later today

What about this one is this a swiss fake or the real deal, never seen this one.23 jewel seth thomas

Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Phillip Sanchez
posted
Samie be sure to bring it with you to Lexington. I might get Robert to loan me a couple of his old moth eaten dollars. Big Grin

Posts: 4975 | Location: North Georgia Mountains in the U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2006
Picture of Tom McIntyre
posted
Apoart from condition, the 23J ST is authentic. It looks like this one in my collection and the similar one that sold in the J&H sale last weekend.

Click on the image to make it large.

Posts: 633 | Location: Boston, Massachusetts USA | Registered: November 25, 2002
IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
Just to add a little to Tom's comments, all of the known examples we have documented so far (12 examples) have identical damaskeening and markings and fall into the 238,201 to 238,400 serial number range.

Ed Ueberall
IHC Member 34
The Escapement

posted
Hi Ed,
Did you mean that all the Series 5's were in that SN range, or just the Maiden Lane's?

Didn't the Model 5 include #'s from 200001-400000?

Sheila

posted
Check this one out! Did you get this one yet?

SN 351006

CLEARLY SAYS 25 Jewels!!!

Sheila

posted
Also, SN 350367? No 382

Sheila

Seth 350367w

posted
This one is very poor but I will post anyway.

SN 227238

Sheila

Seth 227238

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
another 2 tone model 5 this is one of my project watches i think it wil be sharp also after a cleaning this one i bougt without a dial or case ..

So the 23 jewel is the real deal sure didn,t know they made a 23 jewel sounds like a rare one i better take a second look.

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
dfial on the frist 2 tone i posted marked swiss on the back

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
Here is another 2 tone ser# 293234 (is this a model 5) plate layout is the same but the regulator is different and the hairspring stud is in a different postion than on the other 2 i posted ..all the numbers on the movement match..

posted
Samie,
Yes, it's a model 5. Seth's between 200,001-400,000, are model 5's, however, only those marked Maiden Lane are Maiden Lane's, and will be in that field.

Sheila

posted
Another SN 238288

This one is like the one that Tom posted.

OOPS this is the one Samie linked. Here's a picture of it.

Sheila

Seth238288w

posted
Here's a 15J Model 5

Posts: 539 | Location: Central Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
With a SS 24Hr dial...

Posts: 539 | Location: Central Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002
IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
I may not have been very clear in my earlier post.
All Model 5 movements are in the 200,000 to 400,000 range. There are no models other than the Model 5 made within that range, and no Model 5s outside of that range.
The 23 jewel Model 5s that were posted all seem to be within the 238,200 to 238,400 range.
Maiden Lane marked movements were made in numerous scattered runs. At this point we do not have enough data to determeine all of these runs or how many movements were made with the "Maiden Lane" marking.
Thank you to all who have posted these beautiful movements. They have been added to our database.

Ed Ueberall
IHC Member 34
The Escapement

posted
Ed,
That's perfect! Thank you.

I don't know if you have this one it was found online, at oldwatch I think.

25J SN 351113

Sheila

Seth25joldwatch50

posted
Ed,
Are you collecting information on ALL Model 5's or just the Model 5, Maiden Lane ones? I have been posting both! Eek is that right?

I have lots more, so let me know if you want all of them, or only the Maiden Lane ok? Big Grin

Sheila

IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
Thanks Sheila, I'll take all data on the Model 5s, whether marked Maiden Lane or not.

Ed Ueberall
IHC Member 34
The Escapement

IHC Life Member
posted
I just listed the one I posted on Ebay if anyone is interested offered at no reserve as usual.
Model 5 two tone