Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

SWISS FAKE "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1622
posted
Always wear your glasses when purchasing watches. When you think you have latched onto a great deal, be cautions... The spelling looked correct from a guy that did not have his glasses.
Joey

Posts: 177 | Location: Kentucky in the USA | Registered: October 16, 2011
IHC Member 1357
posted
Agree, without glasses I would have been fooled.
I wouldn't have even noticed the oversized jewels!

Posts: 4087 | Location: Carbon, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 24, 2010
IHC Member 1622
posted
Roger,
Thanks for the note. Do you have any ideal as to how old this watch may be???
Joey

IHC Member 1357
posted
Really wouldn't know. Guess would be 1900-1930

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Here is one of my favourite Swiss fake of a Ball pocket watch in my collection.

Posts: 3370 | Location: Okotoks Alberta Canada | Registered: November 22, 2002
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Another photo of the dial

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
A photo of the Fake Swiss movement

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Case trademark

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
I used to HAVE one of those! Tried to get it fixed after I purchased it, and that's when I discovered the meaning of 'Swiss Fake'!

No longer own it, but it was a true educational item along my watch collecting path.

Regard! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
IHC Member 1622
posted
Thanks for the comments. I thought I would pass this along to someone who might collect these fakes, but I think I will keep in my collect.
Joey

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Good plan. If it's the only one your own, it's a great example, and a GREAT discussion and educational piece for a collection.

Many of these were sold through mail order catalogs for use as sales promotions or 'trading stock' for traveling salesmen who just needed items to 'sweeten the deal', so to speak.

"Yes sir! If you'll buy this hammer and saw, I'll even throw in this brand spanking new 21j pocket watch at no extra charge!"

'Honesty' was a bit 'looser' back in those days of the traveling salesman. They could always say 'yes, it SAYS 21j. I never said it HAD 21 jewels....' Big Grin

I'm sure someone can correct me if I'm mis-remembering, but the way they got around not being accused of fraud was to make sure that little 'Swiss' stamp was on the plate to show it wasn't a U.S. made watch of similar sounding (but not exact) company name.

Was it their fault you misheard the name when you were told? Cool

To be fair, MOST of the buyers were in on the joke, just being happy to receive a time piece in trade that they could pass around and even fool THEIR friends with their brand new '21j beauty!' The majority of the salesmen weren't about to burn bridges if they had a chance of a future sale by flim-flaming a customer with a fake watch.

A GREAT example of the two type traveling salesmen is the musical 'The Music Man', right down the time period these watches were popular. Perfect example of the working salesman (second example, 'nudge nudge, wink wink, 'it's a 'real' 21j watch, wink wink) and the one looking for a quick sale and the next train out of town (the 1st example. 'trust me! It's absolutely real! You can take that to the BANK!').

Where shysters got involved is when these watches finally went away. I've read in years past of sales men who carried GENUINE watch company examples on personal watch chains, showing them to the potential customer, allowing them to show THAT watch to their local jeweler, who would of course give it high marks, then finalize the sale by selling them one 'new in the box' at an AMAZING discount due to sales volumes. Needless to say which version was in the box they were handed! They then disappeared on the next train headed for parts unknown with the marks money in their vest pocket. Roll Eyes

If you can find a reproduction copy of an 1897 Sears catalog, look in the watch section. You'll find them usually at the end of the watch listings. They were usually a buck or less, and better prices if purchased in bulk.

Interesting items to collect. Not carry, mind you, but collect! Wink

I occasionally wish I kept mine, but let the watch maker scrap it out, as I believed (and STILL believe) I made out ok. The watch was a fake and had quite a bit of rust on the hair spring, absolutely NO way to make it any kind of a time keeper..... but it was housed in a gorgeous silveroide Dueber open face case that was a beauty, so I got my money's worth.

(Wow, I sure got wordy on this one, didn't I? Sorry about that, but it was just a side topic I've always liked. You'd think I'd collect them, but I just like the story. That file drawer opened when I saw the photo. Frown)

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
IHC Member 1357
posted
Very interesting read. Thanks Mark.

Roger

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
All kinds of useless information. Wink Razz

IHC Member 1622
posted
Mark,
Thanks for the information. I purchased this watch with a Hamilton Railway Special. This particular piece was not tossed in as a freebee, but sold as a Waltham. Both the seller and buyer thought it was a Waltham. I looked up the serial number and confirmed my thoughts, this is going to be a steal. So I made the purchase thinking I had pulled a fast one. I got exactly what I deserved! I have cleaned the old watch up and it will be in my collection. I will share all of the information I received from this site.
Thanks again,
Joey

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Absolutely.

Ironic the old Swiss Fake is still doing its job after over 100 years....fooling people. Wink

Just adds to it's history.

Enjoy it!

Regards! Mark

IHC Member 1613
posted
I was a a watch show in Florida many years ago and bought a 946 Hamilton from a fellow that was back in a corner of the show and lighting was not very good...I too thought I got a good deal.....Didn't really look at the watch again until I got home several days later....The lighting was good and then I noticed the balance cock on the watch was off a lower grade watch....OOOps...Have to laugh about it now but learned that sometimes when you get those deals that are to good to be true they turn out to be just that...

Posts: 2005 | Location: Chesapeake City, Maryland in the USA | Registered: September 27, 2011
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
OH yeah! My purchasing streak on Hampdens are so bad, I'm afraid to even look at one anymore. Eek

Regard! Mark

Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Swiss watchmakers called these key wind fakes "Boston watches." I had a little collection of Swiss fakes built along the lines of the Waltham Model 57. Some of the older fakes were of reasonably good quality. Others were rather horrible.

Posts: 1948 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
IHC Member 1622
posted
I actually just picked up a correct case from a very good friend and the old "Fake" watch looks very presentable. The watch runs really well. Thanks for all the comments, this has been very educational.