Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Should all the hands be the same material? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hello everyone;

My question is this. On any pocket watch and especially this one, should all the hands be of the same "character"? By that I mean, if the hour and minute hands are made of gold, shouldn't the second hand be gold also? If so, then I'm looking for a gold "fancy type" second hand for my new Elgin 18s G.M. Wheeler. Serial number: 6105081

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Bud
ps
Oh yes, one other thing. Can anyone tell me how to make the lettering on the movement black again?

Posts: 449 | Location: Ontario in Canada | Registered: September 28, 2010
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...6095371/m/6023905957

The one that Ernest has for sale in the classified appears to have the same hand arrangement that yours does.

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of Larry Lamphier
posted
Bud I don't know if you can take the plates off, but if you can, that is the best way to darken the letters. I use black magic marker. Just work it in and then wipe it right off with a clean cloth. The black will stay in the numbers. Some even use black enamel paint. I have even used pegwood to get the black off the plates, but you have to be careful not to get anything into the movement!

I noticed that your serial number is really close to the regulator mounting. I would be VERY careful there. Almost better to just take it off, if you can.

The seconds hand should be the same color as the hour and minute hand, but that's about all I know about them. That's a really nice looking dial. It really needs a gold seconds hand! Smile

Regards,
Larry

Posts: 2733 | Location: Northeastern United States | Registered: February 28, 2010
posted
Thank you Mark, that's quite helpful as I did see another one with a similar dial that had the same arrangement. Perhaps it is a correct and complete dial after all. The Shugart books don't seem to have this type of information.

Many thanks Mark.

Bud

quote:
The one that Ernest has for sale in the classified appears to have the same hand arrangement that yours does.

posted
Hi Larry;

Well, I thought the very same thing until Mark showed me yet another with the same "hands" arrangement. The odd thing is, I don't remember ever seeing one with all three being gold hands, and the three I have seen have all been two gold and a blued second hand.

Hmmmmm, perhaps a little more research is in order here.

Thanks a lot for your help though Larry, I really appreciate it.

Bud

quote:
The seconds hand should be the same color as the hour and minute hand, but that's about all I know about them. That's a really nice looking dial. It really needs a gold seconds hand!

posted
Hi Larry, I forgot to add........ taking the plates off these pocket watches, I've learned is real simple. However, I already have two here that I did that to and have no idea how to put them back together.

I bought a couple of movements that didn't work so I could play, and that's how far as I got.

Bud

Bud I don't know if you can take the plates off, but if you can, that is the best way to darken the letters.

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

I agree with Larry on both subjects.

The original seconds hand would have matched, but over the years it was replaced with whatever was available, most of us as collectors prefer everything properly matched.

About filling in lettering, the "sharpie pen" method as Larry suggested is often used because it is not only easy to do but it can also be easily reversed if desired and any excess can be polished away with "Rodoco" or similar methods. Some of our members use paint, this is not necessarily a recommendation, but here is a topic where that is discussed in considerable detail...

CLICK FOR TOPIC: "Filled Engraving on Movements"

See what you think,

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Hello Lindell;

Well, in THAT case, I will look for a golden second hand. I did look on eBay earlier today but there doesn't appear to be anything there at the moment. Would you or anyone you know have one perhaps?

Any help in finding one would be most appreciated, and thanks again for all the information gents.

Bud
ps
Thanks also for that link on re-blackening the letters, it was very helpful.

quote:
I agree with Larry on both subjects.

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Bud, the hands that you are looking for will be the Elgin #2416 Louis XIV and are solid gold and the other one will look like the one you have now only it will be gold plated and it is a #2605....

You may want to check with Brian C., he may have one....To bad I didn't know about two weeks ago that you needed one, I gave one to a friend for his 18 size Elgin BWR....

That is a nice GM Wheeler and I think they are very underappreciated....

Regards,

Jerry

My BWR with a similar Dial....

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
posted
Bud, I think I have some Gold plated hands like Jerry's watch, but my experience is that most second hands require fitting to the fourth wheel pivot. Are you capable of fitting the second hand? If so e-mail me and I will send you one.......Keith..ckeithjohnson@eriecoast.com

Posts: 198 | Location: Vermilion, Ohio in the USA | Registered: May 14, 2003
posted
Thank you very much Keith, I am now pleased to show of my latest acquisition once again only this time with the correct gold hand, thanks to you.

Keith was kind enough to send me a gold hand for my newest watch and thanks to him it now looks terrific. So, thank you Keith, very much, and as promised, above is a look at that fine gold hand you sent me, with my Elgin underneath.

Bud
ps
Thanks also to Jerry King for helping me put this thread back in the correct place. Thank you Jerry.

quote:
Bud, I think I have some Gold plated hands like Jerry's watch, but my experience is that most second hands require fitting to the fourth wheel pivot. Are you capable of fitting the second hand? If so e-mail me and I will send you one.......Keith..ckeithjohnson@eriecoast.com

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
That looks different as night and day!
Smile
Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
posted
Yes, it sure does Mark, and I think it's much nicer this way too.

Bud

quote:
That looks different as night and day!

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Agreed 100%!