Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Measurements of a 17s Case?? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Robert V. Jones
posted
I pulled out a nice case which I thought was a 16s case but it looked a little large so I tried to slip a 16s movement in it and it was loose. I then tried to slide a 18s movement and it wouldnt fit. Being a 20 year Crescent case I thought it would have had a decent american movement in it. No lever slot I thought maybe it was an equity since they are an oddball size more like a 16 1/2 but when I slipped one in it was loose also. So my question is I wonder if anyone would know what this case held. THe dial side opening is 44.7mm the movement opening is 41.3mm and the thickness where the movement would fit is 7.4mm. As you can see it would have been a pendant set movement. Any ideas??

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006
IHC Life Member
posted
Only one screw mark as seen but there is a pin hole in the front like the old keywinds that is at bottom by the hinge looking at the front would be at the 34 minute mark.

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
A case like that could very likely be for a Waltham 1888 Model that has a single case screw and a Case Pin to hold it into a 17 size case.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
posted
Ok Thanks Dave but all the model 88's have a detent stem which means this is wrong set up correct since this has a male stem??

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
How about the "16 size" Elgin Convertible!

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
posted
I am not sure I thought about the elgin covertible but they are usually lever set arent they. I am going to try and dig up a model 88 I think you maybe right since they have the pin. I hope I didnt sell them all already. I will let you know.

IHC Life Member
posted
Your first guess is right Dave a model 88 fits perfect once I removed the stem and sleeve. Someone must have put it together at one time to try and put another movement in it. Now I have a nice case for a model 88. Just have to find a proper stem and crown. THanks Dave!!

IHC Life Member
posted
You can see the movement fits just right and the screw mark lines up. I did some digging around and found some model 88 stems and then did more digging and found a crown to fit. Now I will keep it aside until I find a nice model 88 to put in it. Thanks again dave. Big Grin

Took a quick picture so you can see

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Rob, there is a 17J Royal $64.64 BIN at;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1891-1...&hash=item519b22deb9

posted
Rob,
maybe something shiny?

Kevin

Posts: 486 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: March 13, 2010
IHC Life Member
posted
Dave that movement is actually a 11-15 jewel and I already have several of those. I still have tons of movements I havent gone thru I like to find one like Kevin posted but running as I do not work on them.

posted
Rob,

the Riverside movements are almost as fancy. This one is a duplicate which ticks sluggishly. If interested in a trade, let me know.

Kevin

Posts: 486 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: March 13, 2010
IHC Life Member
posted
Ya I am always up for a trade email me and let me know what you are looking for. You think it only needs a cleaning?

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Sorry, I did nt look at the watch, only read the BS which claimed 17J