Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Quick Quiz "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Who can tell what this is from? More pictures after the correct answer comes up.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
Picture of Kenny Drafts
posted
Jerry,
My bet is fake railroad. Either the "Trainsman Special" by Seth Thomas or "The Locomotive Special" by Trenton.

Smile Roll Eyes

Kenny

Posts: 359 | Location: Lexington, South Carolina USA | Registered: July 28, 2003
IHC Life Member
Picture of John D. Duvall
posted
Cooksey's has it listed as an 18s, grade 4, model 2, 11J Illinois "Locomotive".

Posts: 1123 | Location: Arizona U.S.A. | Registered: January 21, 2003
Picture of Jim McKinney
posted
John D. -

Yes, one & the same. Wink Thanks . . . I didn't have time to run the additional ID on it earlier this morning. Looks like the same "Choo-Choo" to me, though - what do you think ? Roll Eyes

Posts: 231 | Location: Northern Virginia in the U.S.A. | Registered: April 10, 2004
IHC Life Member
Wristwatch Host
Picture of Tony Dukes
posted
Could be Illinois railroad no. 4

Posts: 1953 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: August 01, 2003
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
I guess this really was a "quick" quiz Smile
Yes, it is an Illinois No.4 "Railroader" from around 1884. It was not railroad grade.

Illinois 4

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
... and the original 24-hour dial.

Picture of Jessica Lane
posted
Hi. What keeps it from being a rr watch? I know the standard kept changing. Is it because it's key-wind?

Jessica

Posts: 834 | Location: New York, New York U.S.A. | Registered: September 06, 2003
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Well, it actually is stem-wind ("transitional") and lever set, and it is a hunter. Also, it only has 11 jewels -- the jewels you see on the top plate are not matched on the dial side. It has been my general understanding that this model was not a real railroad watch, but in going through some old threads on the ***** board I find reference to an 1884 ad (link is long gone) that supposedly claims it was made for railroad use. I will wait for more learned RR watch enthusiasts to comment on what might or might not have been a railroad watch in 1884.

Picture of Jessica Lane
posted
By the way, Jerry, I love the train. That alone makes the watch so great. Sort of cartoony but so well done it's more than that--certainly compared to the popular cartoons of today.

Jessica

Posts: 834 | Location: New York, New York U.S.A. | Registered: September 06, 2003
Picture of Stephen L. Russell
posted
That is a great dial Jerry!

Posts: 849 | Location: Victoria, British Columbia Canada | Registered: December 05, 2003