• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Waltham 18sz P.S Bartlett transitional "Click" to Login or Register 
posted

I got this a few years ago and I have not seen another waltham that is trasitional are they rare? this is a P.S. Bartlett 18 size,15 jewel,model 1883,lever set and you can stem wind it or key wind it that what a transitional watch is,serial no 4629180 made around 1890 I have seen other brands that were transitional but never a waltham and they are not listed in the book some of you call the bible.Thanks for any help.On the key that came with it there is a kind of a fob with the owner's name and marked tiffany did they sell waltham watches out of there store?And it in a Fahys coin hunter case.

Posts: 523 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: November 23, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
The Hawkins report claimes 4500 Key Wind model 1883 were made, and the waltham book shows this as part of a 1500 piece Key Wind run.

It could well be that Waltham revised some of those to Pendant Winding, Lever-Setting watches, or it may have a commercilly availabel conversion. The commercial conversion would make it very desirable indeed. To find out what is going on would necessitate lifting the dial.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
David what is the harkins report I never heard of it before.

Posts: 523 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: November 23, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
as below;

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Thanks David for the info.

Picture of Brian C.
posted
Mike,
I don't believe Waltham made any transition watches. There was an after market item called Abbott's Stem wind attachment. This converted a key wind to a stem wind. Like Dave said, you would have to pull the dial to be sure.
Brian C.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
posted
Hi Brian
Did the Abbotts stem wind attachment have a lever?
Mike

posted
Hi Brian
I found this on the web.
http://barrygoldberg.net/watch43.htm

Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Mike,
Here are two sites that combined have a lot of information on early Walthams.

http://www.awco.org/

http://www.plads.com/m57/

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008