Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton 978L or 974L? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Dan Carter
posted
Ok, here is my dilemma, I have a nice 974L (I have had many 974Ps but recently purchased a lever set for a real nice price). I am into collecting, and might decide to sell off a few of my watches one day, but right now, I am collecting. At any rate, like I said, this is the only 974L I have. I also have 2 978Ls but while rummaging through a box of items I bought online of watch parts found almost everything I need to rebuild another 978L (just missing the winding arbor (complete), the lever is broken, and I need an escapement wheel. With that said, would it make more sense to rebuild the 978 using parts from the 974? or would it make more sense to buy the parts specifically for the 978 and leave the working 974 alone? Any thoughts?

Posts: 407 | Location: Northern Virginia in the USA | Registered: October 08, 2011
posted
To me at least, 2 in the end is better than 1.

Posts: 1143 | Location: Chicago, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 05, 2010
Picture of Gary E. Foster
posted
Before I would breakdown either for parts, I would try to obtain the missing parts.

Gary

Posts: 1012 | Location: Western Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2007
Picture of Richard Romero
posted
Dan,
I would also leave the running watches alone. It should be easy enough to find a parts movement. According to the Guide grades 956, 964, 965, 968, 969, 974, 975, 976, 977, and 978 use 90% of the same parts.
RR

Posts: 1413 | Location: Fremont, California in the USA | Registered: February 06, 2010
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Richard said it all. Breaking up intact working watches with matching serial numbers to make "Frankenwatchs" makes the value of BOTH very debatable. Wait for some parts movements to come along.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
Picture of Dan Carter
posted
Thanks for the replies! I would never swap out serial numbered parts that match, but have considered smaller parts (jewels, gears, screws, regulators, etc.). I will keep my eyes open for te parts I need and try to get 2 working watches instead of risking having none Wink. Thanks again!
Dan

Posts: 407 | Location: Northern Virginia in the USA | Registered: October 08, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
I can't find my Hamilton book Dan. but will a 992 escapment wheel work. I also pulled out a 974 special out of my hamilton parts drawer. It is mostly there. Would you like to see photos.

Leaving for work in an hour.

Posts: 3323 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: July 06, 2010
Picture of Dan Carter
posted
Sure, you can post them or send them to dan6336@gmail.com.

Not sure about the 992 wheel. According to what Richard posted (and it echoes it in the price guide) the 978 looks to be more compatible with the 17jewel movements than the 21 jewel movements.