Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

A Lincoln . . . to Getty or Not to Getty! "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
I have scraped up a couple nicely used and restorable Illinois 16 size pieces that have an interesting relationship . . .

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
The one on the left is a (beautiful) model 5, 21 Jewel, 1913 vintage Getty Movement which in production was followed by some Sangamo-Getty's. The one on the right is a Model 9, 21 Jewel, 1919 vintage Movement that was preceded by some 21 Jewel Bunn specials. These are Both "A. Lincoln" models for which no distinction is made between the movements in our watch guide. I will be restoring these now, and musing on the sad truth that the Illinois factory chose to discontinue the exquisite Getty Movement somewhere in the mid 19-teens which I opine to say makes the Gettys eminently more collectible! So my question is: Why does the watch guide make no distinction, AND are they of equal value?

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
I figure there must be some improvement in design found in the post-Getty models. Were the Getty models thicker? Harder to work on? More parts? Just wondering.

Posts: 94 | Location: Collinsville, Virginia in the USA | Registered: January 01, 2008
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
David,

How bizarre! I just purchased the Getty model on ebay and it arrived today. Last week my model 9 arrived. I too was confused in that there was no mention of the Getty variety in the price guide yet there were like 31,860 of these produced. How could this have been overlooked? They produced 24,840 of the Model 9 and that is the one that appears in the price guide. My model 5 has the same dial as yours but a dissimilar case. That movement is so cool. The model 9 looks like it could have had Bunn Special on it. I'll break out the camera tomorrow and post the pictures of mine.

Steve

Posts: 1980 | Location: Kentucky in the USA | Registered: March 18, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Thomas, The Getty models are (in my opinion) one of the finest Pocketwatch moevement designs ever done. They are incredibly practical, easy to work on, and modular in their functionality. Their (slight) misfortune was probably a slightly higher parts count, and a more expensive wind and set clutch mechanism.

Steve, bring on the pictures, this is fun!

The comical part of both movements I pictured is the fact that they are REALLY just 17 jewel movements with 4 extra "cap" jewels for the Escape and Pallet Pivots. Ball ran a famous ad for that ridiculous fact.

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
David,

Here are the pictures of my two examples. The Getty is from a run in 1909 while the Model 9 was produced in 1918. The dials look to be the same on the Gettys. Both of mine seem to be keeping pretty decent time at this point.

Steve

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
....and from the front....

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Steve you have a pair of real beauties! Great stuff these Illinois pieces! It seemed like every run they had made more "collector" pieces. I jokingly refer to what Illinois W.Co. could have called the "Watch a month club".

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
Dave,

Yours look to be in very nice condition. My Getty could use a dial so if you ever come across one in nice condition let me know. I plan on keeping these examples.

Steve