• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Illinois Bunn Special Dial Question "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi, a question to the Illinois expertise.
According to the Illinois database, there are two types of "correct" dials for the 18s 23J Bunn Special, and this montgomery DS is not one of them.
My q is: everything else look original to me, ie hands and the nice case w/o any extra screw marks, is this an "impossible dial for this movement?. SN is 2740355.

As a curiosity I noted that the jewelled barrel has SN 2740385, where the incorrect "8" could easily be mistaken for a "5", so I suspect this is a mistake done at the factory.

Posts: 21 | Location: Stockholm, Sweden | Registered: August 30, 2003
posted
Hi Peter,

Nice watch! Now, I'm far from an Illinois expert, but I can tell you that I have a 23j 18s Bunn Special with the same numeral style on the dial as yours, but not a Monty. Mine also has a similar serial number. My opinion would be this dial is correct for your watch.

Jim Wooldridge

Posts: 49 | Location: Rapids City, Illinois USA | Registered: August 05, 2005
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Hello Peter,

I agree with Jim completely.

The dial you shared with us looks entirely appropriate to me for the movement in question. In fact it may perhaps the most desirable one you could have on that beautiful movement. For what it's worth I have the same exact dial on one with a fairly close serial number and you can't have it. Big Grin

By the way, the "arched" design Illinois signature was being phased in during the 1915 time-frame in which the movement number you mention was produced. It is easy for some to take a hard line on such things as this and we must remember that any of the available dials are correct.

If that watch were mine I'd leave it alone.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
That is a really nice watch. Love the high grade 18s Illinois.

You normally see the straight line Gothic/Old English Illinois Watch Co. Signature on dials from this era, or the straight line block Illinois. The arched Illinois can in around 3 yrs after the movement, but this kinda overlap is very possible.

If concerned, I would want to pull the dial and look at the solder line to try to determine if the center section had been replaced, using a part from a later dial.

Charlie

posted
Thanks everybody for your nice answers. The watch is by me on approval for a possible purchase, guess I'll go for it. $520 seems reasonable, doesn't it? Solder line on back of dial hasn't been tampered with, Charles. Only thing "wrong" is the number on the barrel.

Peter

posted
Haven't seen the case, but if it is as nice as the dial & mvt, it is a great deal.

The mvt with a cracked dial and worn out case would bring $520.

Nice buy.

posted
Charles, it's housed in a crisp AWC Co "Fortune" GF plain case. only draw back is it's a swing out.
Thanx again for the input