Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Asian Pocket Watch Info Needed "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Ken Knight
posted
There appears to be no site for Asian pocket watches, and it is so unique that I am taking a chance by posting it here.

Posts: 285 | Location: Springfield, Ohio in the USA | Registered: June 06, 2008
Picture of Ken Knight
posted
Here is what I know so far. It is an open face, 20 lignes, key wind, movement in what appears to be a coin silver case. It has a sweep second hand, and the minute hand moves counter clockwise from 0 to 60, then at the hour, the hour hand indexes by one and the minute hand returns to 0.

Picture of Ken Knight
posted
As you can see, when the back is opened, the movement is enclosed in what appears to be a plastic crystal with its own bezel. Both the wind and time adjustment are done by the key.

Picture of Ken Knight
posted
Here is a picture of the back of the watch. The outside is a box hinge, and the inside dust cover is a standard hinge

Picture of Ken Knight
posted
Here are a few pictures of the case itself.

Picture of Ken Knight
posted
The case is manufactured by Sargent, and has what appears to be a sargent insignia stamped above the name; both on the inside of the case, and on the stem itself. It appears that the name of the company is written on the inside of the case, but in what language I do not know.

Picture of Ken Knight
posted
Finally, here is a picture of the key with an inscription on it. If anyone can read it, I would appreciate some information.

Picture of Ken Knight
posted
I believe I may post it on the auction in IHC 185, but I don't know enough at this point to do any more. Thanks for your help.

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Page 594 (upper right hand corner, 'Illo 102') of the "Big Book, shows this exact same movement as an 1870, "Chinese Duplex KW" with "Bat" style Balance weights interspersed between the three Balance wheel arms. It claims $745.00-$1130.00 value, a valuation that seems very low given the extraordinary nature of this beast.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
That's a beauty, Ken. Great dial, interesting mechanics, and a very pretty movement.

Posts: 2962 | Location: Western New York in the USA | Registered: March 24, 2008
posted
Hi Ken

Some from the 'good folk' may put this post in the european section.

A very nice and rare example of a swiss made chinese market (little china involved) watch with the typical 'bat-wing' balance but no duplex escapement - it is a lever escapement watch !.
Very rare indication on the dial side: jumping hour and retrograde sectorial minutes! Made in the late 1880s. Case is silver 'argent' and with the genevean silver mark. Original key.

Regards
Gerald

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
quite lovely whatever it is LOL Big Grin

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
Picture of Ken Knight
posted
Tanks all for the great information. I knew it was unique when I obtained it, but I am still a novice when it comes to pocket watches. I don't think one will ever stop learing in this business.

posted
Those chinese market watches are bit hard to date so this one might be 10 years older than I first thought.
The small top mark was the swiss silver hallmark used in this form with the word argent surrounding the shield with three chevrons since 1852 and replaced in the 1880s.

The bigger case mark also on the movement was the trademark of Fritz Bovet; Fleurier; switzerland reg. 1880 and 1889. 'bo-wei' in chinese.

The manufacture Bovet was a watchmaking dynasty since the early 1800s. Edouard Bovet made a fortune 1818 selling watches in Canton China, they build up a factory at Fleurier and made watches for the chinese market.

Gerald

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009