Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Waltham Chronometro Supremo "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Gary E. Foster
posted
Waltham Chronometro Supremo

Here's a watch you don't see often. I wish condition was better. Only 200 produced according to pocket watch database.

Posts: 1012 | Location: Western Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2007
posted
Another movement pic.

Posts: 1012 | Location: Western Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2007
posted
Dial.

IHC Member 1555
posted
They're a nice watch Gary, I also have one in the hunter configuration, it is a 15 jewel Chronometro Victoria version with gold screws and regulator, these normally have the dial maked with the name, so maybe your dial has been swapped out. I remember reading somewhere that they were made for another market somewhere, do not know if that is correct or not, someone might be able to enlighten us on it.

Posts: 2265 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011
posted
Jewel settings have gold screws, and I would not be surprised if the dial has been swapped, as its also recased, whoever worked on this watch before appears to have been kind of ham handed. Got this from Manny Trauring of Modesto Horology, anyone remember them.

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Oh yes, I remember Manny.

And yes, the dial has been swapped. The original would have been a specially marked fancy dial with a logo of the sun on it.

These were M1899's made for export to Spanish-speaking countries. There's also the M1899 Cronometro Victoria, a lesser 15-jewel version.

Specially Marked Chronometro Victoria Dial

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
posted
My pics aren't so great, but there is a sun logo on the movement between 21 jewels and Chronometro.

IHC Member 1555
posted
Thanks Ed for the info, Gary, mine has the sun logo as well, just above the name on the movement, the dial has "Chronometro Victora" in a circular pattern around the dial and dirctly below that in a straight line it has "A.W.W.Co Waltham", but it does not have the sun logo on the dial. Also, I think Waltham made the Model 1883 to send to the same market with that sun logo on it, they were called "Sol", these had the sun logo on the inner lid of the case.

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Here's one of those Cronometro Victoria dials without the sun logo.

Cronometro Victoria Dial

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
IHC Member 1555
posted
That's a great looking dial.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
I have a 12 size Model 1894 Cronometro Victoria with a dial very similar to Ed's -- no sun. I don't think that the sun logo has anything to do with Waltham. I understand that it made these watches and the Cronometro Supremo for a private labeler/casemaker called Fogel. It is my understanding that the sun logo was Fogel's. My watch is in a very nice Fogel-signed 18k and diamond case, with Fogel's sun logo.

Here's the dial.

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
The monogrammed side of the case.

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
The diamond side of the case.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
The movement -- no sun logo.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
The Fogel signature on the case with the Fogel sun logo.

IHC Member 1555
posted
Very nice watch Ethan, strange that some of the movements have the logo and some don't, my watch is in a 10 Year S.W.C.Co, looks like the case was made for the English market, no other screw marks in it, so might be original. Also, the sun logo on mine is different to Gary's as well as yours, it is the same as the 18s Waltham model 1883 "SOL" watch I have.