WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Grungy Dial & Mvmt/Works too!What to clean it with? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Hi,
Really grungy parts, but I love these dials. For the very low cost, it was worth it though!

Any idea what it was, and what I should clean this Metal dial with?

Thank you

Sheila

Fancy Dialw

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
posted
The movement

Sheila

Fancy Dial Mvmtw

posted
Sheila,
The dial will respond well to any generic jewelry cleaning dip. Rinse it well in water afterwards , dry it, and you're home free Bogart!
-Cort

Posts: 536 | Location: El Cerrito, California U.S.A. | Registered: October 04, 2004
IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
Sheila,
To get a little more sparkle from the dial, after the jewelry cleaner dip, gently brush the dial with an old soft toothbrush and ordinary toothpaste. Rinse in warm water and dry throughly. Needless to say, the dial must be removed from the movement before any of this is done. Putting even a small amount of water on the movement can cause irreversible damage.

Ed Ueberall
IHC Member 34
The Escapement

Posts: 620 | Location: Pooler, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002
posted
Cort, Ed,
Thank you for the information. I did know about the tooth brush from the other posts you guys gave me before, but was unsure if the dip would take care of a watch dial, in the condition it was in. I feel a lot better about being able to clean it now.
I really purchased it only for the dial, but can't wait to see if this thing really runs like it says in the auction.

Thanks again for the confidence, that both of you, have given me.

Sheila

posted
Got it today!

I only did a "touch" of cleaning on it and look at that dial. I will be much cleaner when it's done correctly, but I wanted you to see it.

Everything moves on it, including the seconds hand, but I could not wind it without worry of harming the movement, and with that dirt, I thought it best to leave it alone.

Sure wish I knew what it was!

Sheila

Dial