Tools
Reply to Post

I Haven't the Foggiest... "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 229
posted
idea......who made this watch....the Dial has
C.W.Co. on it...Swiss Fake maybe? Any Info
would be appreciated.

Posts: 148 | Location: Somerville, New Jersey USA | Registered: November 28, 2002
Watch Repair Expert
posted
===============

Steve Maddox
President, NAWCC Chapter #62
North Little Rock, Arkansas
IHC Charter Member 49

Posts: 618 | Location: North Little Rock, Arkansas USA | Registered: December 05, 2002
IHC Member 229
posted
OK Steve...for those of us who are not SWISS....
a little more info please.....like....the definition of Swiss fake....how do you determine who made the watch?....how do you order parts?
are all Swiss made PW..."fakes"?....are they collectable/valuable.....etc.

Posts: 148 | Location: Somerville, New Jersey USA | Registered: November 28, 2002
Watch Repair Expert
posted
The term "Swiss fake" has been coined to refer to any Swiss pocket watch movement of relatively low quality, which is deceptively similar in appearance to typical American products, and often bears a name that's very similar to a known American model or company.

Examples are as endless as the imagination, but they include names like P.S. Barrett (instead of P.S. Bartlett), B.W. Rayman (instead of B.W. Raymond) Hampton Watch Co. (instead of Hampden Watch Co.), etc., as well names that merely sound as though they're American, such as Ohio Watch Co., New Haven Watch Co., etc. In your case, the "Madison St." sounds like a weird combination of "Marion," and "Crescent St." but who knows?

All "Swiss fakes" have a few of the same characteristics: they're similar in appearance to common American products; their name sounds American; they're usually lightly gilded or lightly nickel plated; they're usually crudely engraved; their hairspring studs are seldom held in place by screws, the way most American models are; and by and large, parts for them are nonexistent.

Like a "fake Rolex" of today, it's usually difficult to determine who actually produced most "Swiss fake" pocket watch movements, and I'm sure that was probably so intentionally to stay one step ahead of the law. They're interesting, and often amusing, but their value is very modest in most instances.

For a few years now, Cooksey Shugart has been trying to get people interested in making collections of these, but I don't know anyone who's taken the suggestion seriously. Most collectors probably have at least one or two that have happened along over the years, but I think it's safe to say that not many people actually make an effort to collect them!

As always, I hope this helps!

==================================

Steve Maddox
President, NAWCC Chapter #62
North Little Rock, Arkansas
IHC Charter Member 49

Posts: 618 | Location: North Little Rock, Arkansas USA | Registered: December 05, 2002
IHC Member 229
posted
Thanks Steve...that clears that up very nicely...
this particular fake runs well and keeps excellent time....I'm thinking of selling it on Ebay....but....What do I call it?....how do I describe it...and...stay honest?..should I list it as...SWISS FAKE?

posted
Example:

Posts: 111 | Location: Sellersville, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: December 24, 2002
posted
photo2

Posts: 111 | Location: Sellersville, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: December 24, 2002
IHC Member 229
posted
Yo...Geo...that looks like a nice Fake to me...but...what do I know?...My Fake has C.W.Co.
on the dial...any ideas what that might mean?...
any ideas how old this fake is?...is there a listing of swiss fake movements...and...who made them??....I would think there must be some historical significance to these"FAKES"...other than we don't seem to like them to much...