WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Correct case and dial for 1942 Hamilton 992B "Civilian" "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi folks,I have an early Hamilton 992B, serial number C49092 dating to about 1942.It is housed in an incorrect model 17 case that was a one year production of 1956 or so.

If I have done my research correctly,the dial is a number 024 single sunk typically used on the 992B military orders.
Also 992B watches ordered by the military,were marked as such on the movement,however some were sold to the public without the markings and have been dubbed "civilian" models. I assume this is what I have.
After reading Lindells excellent explanation of single sunk 024 style dials indiscriminate use during 1942-43 time frame on another post,I believe the dial is OK to use on a civilian model.
Finding a model 2,10 or 11 case with an appropriate date serial number is what I should seek.
A military style case is not right without the proper markings on the movement.
Am I close? I would like opinions as to what case I should seek and if the dial is indeed a genuine Hamilton manufacture, not a reproduction.
Please point out anything else I may have missed,I see a winding wheel has been changed,anything else?
Thanks!
Bob

Posts: 25 | Location: New York in the USA | Registered: April 06, 2011
posted

posted

posted

posted

posted

IHC Member 1338
posted
Bob; I think that is just a straight 992B.
To me, they were either military or civilian.
Military should have "US Gov't" on movement
I have never heard of Military 992Bs called "civilian" models being sold to public as such

That being said, IMO you'll need a regular 992B dial
on it as well as a model 2, 10, A, or 11 case to be correct.

I will defer this to the experts, that is just IMO

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

Posts: 3052 | Location: Ramsey, Illinois in the USA | Registered: December 15, 2008