• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Pair of civil war era Waltham Wm Ellery "Click" to Login or Register 
posted

Here is a pair of civil war era Waltham Wm Ellery pocket watches they are some times called the soldiers watch they were the lowest priced walthams for sell when I was in the military the pay was not that good so I can see them buying these model's they are two differnt model's Wm Ellery the first is a 1859 model serial no 59864 made in 1862,7 jewel,kw,18 size.The other is a 1857 model serial no 132058 made in 1864,7 jewel,kw,18 size.There was a article in the NAWCC bullentin that said President Abraham Lincoln owned a Wm Ellery pocket watch.

Posts: 523 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: November 23, 2008
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Mike,
A very nice pair of Walthams. Wish they were in my collection.

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Same here Mike,I have a W.E s/n 82594 c.a. 1863 and have "enshrined" it as a "Lincoln's watch", but you have the creme-de-creme, because the story goes that A.L. had a Hunter-cased W. E.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Dave
I like you set up for your shrine I have read a lot about his watch some say it was the 1859 movement and some say the 1857 movement more say the 1857 so that's probley the one witch one do you think it was.

Posts: 523 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: November 23, 2008
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Mike,
Does history tell us if he purchased it or was it a gift?

posted
I found this web site with some info on Prisident Lincoln's owning a waltham http://www.watchfacts.com/waltham-watches

Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Mike,
Being a gift, I'll bet it was from a Waltham exc. A good marketing move for them!

I wonder where old "67613" is now?

posted
Hi Edward,
I believe his watch is on display at the Smithsonian museum.

Ray

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006
Picture of Mary Ann Scott
posted
The Lincoln watch is discussed in the October '08 issue of the Bulletin on page 520 in an article by Gary Arnal. According to his research, the watch can't be found in the records of the Smithsonian but they have so many items it is possible it is hidden somewhere. He also said the watch was given by Lincoln to a cousin, Dennis Hanks, in 1964.

Mary Ann Scott

Posts: 1047 | Location: The Colony, Texas in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Mary Ann, good point, I found the article and it is an interesting "read" about this whole thing. So I am sharing it with our members

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Page 2

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Page 3,(I had to grayscale this page due to the old photos)

posted
Sorry Mike, I thought I read somewhere that his watch was at the smithsonian. Thanks Dave, great reading.

Ray

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006