• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Eatons watch "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Looking for info on this watch, Can anyone tell me the what the movement is, I realize a lot of the Eatons watches had swiss movements in them, but no markings on this one. I also have seen few Eatons watches with this dial, most have the small traingular logo, rather than the word Eatons. I have seen this dial on the earlier eatons watches, but only pics of this this with the early Rolex 1/4 century watches. Any help would be appreciated,
Thanks,
Bill

Posts: 1278 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: May 19, 2008
posted
Dial

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Hello Bill:

Looking at the movement, and the click, I believe this is a Gallet pocket watch. Interesting Eaton's dial, with its radial 24 hour markings, and signature.

Buchaneer

Posts: 3370 | Location: Okotoks Alberta Canada | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
Hi Larry,
Thanks for the input. Could this have been used as a rr timepiece, even without the lever set.
I also have a s12 gallet, and was trying to compare the movement to this one which is a 16s, and there appears to be some differences, although I know that Eatons used the Gallet movements. The dial was interesting to me and that was partially why I had bought it, as I stated the only time I had seen Eaton written on the dial was on the 1/4 century presentation watches given out by the store, but had never seen it on a production watch, they all appeared to have the eatons logo only. I guess this is what makes this collecting hobby so much fun and intriging.
Bill

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Hello Bill:

The pocket watch would not have met Railway Standards, having only 15 Jewels. It sure has a large seconds bit. I have heard of the Eaton's 1/4 Century Wristwatches, they were made by Rolex. Are you referring to these or a pocket watch?

Posts: 3370 | Location: Okotoks Alberta Canada | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
hi Larry,
The quarter century club I understand when first started was Rolex, and at first I believe it was Rolex Eaton 17j pocket watches, I have seen them, they also had the Rolex wrist watches. Then I think they went with other makers for the movements, and I think Gallet along with some others. The dial on this one has the Eaton as did the Rolex watches, but I think for the quarter century club, the words "1/4 century club" replaced the numerals. Now I have seen both pocket and wristwatches (Rolex) with this the 1/4 century dial and Eaton.
If anyone has better and further info on these please step in, I had found most of this info just recently while looking for my dial.
Thanks,
Bill

posted
Bill, if it helps, Rolex never made Any pocket watch movements that I know of, they bought in movements from other manufacturers and refinished them in house.
The most notable of them was Cortebert, who supplied Rolex with their PW ebauche for the military PW's.

The give away is the curved index lever which is unique to the Cortebert / Rolex link, but Cortebert did make a similar ebauche with a straight index lever.
So if Eaton used Rolex PW movements, they were most likely from Cortebert, this may be one of their examples.

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
posted
Hi John,
Thanks for the input, Attached you will see the movement from a Rolex 1/4 century pocket watch,I don't know if its Rolex or Cortbert, but it does look somewhat better finished than my military Rolex, enjoy these,
Thanks,
Bill

posted
Nice example Bill, the centre wheel is jewelled on the bridge as well as a cap jewel on the escape wheel, these are refinements missing from the 15J Military Rolexes that I've had.

I think mine has adjustments to 3 positions only, will check later.
The Gold jewel settings are common to both Rolex And Cortebert as is the curved index lever.

Don't wish to be alarmist Bill, but the Index lever on your watch appears to be waaaaay off to one side, and if that's the extension for the boot over the hairspring stud. looks like the index boot and curb pin could be bust off.

John

PS.
Just checked mine Bill, No adjustments on either the Cortebert or Rolex, and the boot is just a pair of curb pins in line with the lever, so you've probably got away with it. (Phew)!
John.

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
posted
Hi John,
Don't worry youre not an alarmist for me , this movement was 1 I found off of the internet, being a Eatons Rolex, I could only be so lucky to actually own one, I understqand they are going for thousasnds if you would be lucky enough to find one of the original ones. I was just wondering if it was a cortbert or rolex movement.
Thanks,
Bill

posted
Bill, Your Rolex almost certainly started life as a Cortebert ebauche, they're the Only two examples I've Ever come across too that share that curved index.

I actually have examples of both in my posession and never twigged the link until I read about this on the web somewhere.

I'd got an incomplete Rolex and a bust part Cortebert movement - Absolutely Everything in those trains - right down to the lever and balance is Totally interchangeable.

Just for the heck of it, I swapped the escapement complete with balance from the Cort to the Rolex and blow me down if it didn't try to run as soon as the balance was dropped in.

Rub is, many folks are catching on to this fact and Cort's are creeping up in values quite rapidly, so maybe I'd better shut up! Wink

Not sure about the first example you posted though, but will make a comparison to mine here later.

John