• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Grade 912 secometers "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Is there any data on how many Grade 912 secometer watches were made ?
There was about 260,000 Gr. 912, but no reference to how many were the above, from the numbers I would think not many were.
Any info appreciated.
Bill

Posts: 1278 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: May 19, 2008
IHC Member 1736
posted
Bill,

I can't help you on hard numbers, but can say, I see more of them than I thought I would on the bay.

I've considered a few, but they come at quite a premium for being otherwise common movements and cases.

happy hunting, Paul

Posts: 2032 | Location: San Diego, California in the USA | Registered: August 30, 2012
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Back in 2006 there was a topic wherein Lindell quoted this 1930 Hamilton offer to jewelers...

"The Secometer Dial adds unusual sales stimulus to sales opportunities and is obtainable on any 912 model (or any Hamilton 12-size watch) at an extra cost of $5.00 to the consumer. This new dial is an innovation in the watch industry and gives unique pocket watch convenience as well as distinctive style."

Lindell further explained... The dial was further referenced in Hamilton catalogs as "Secometer Dial No. 55 - Extra charge $5.00" and that usually appeared prominently in the Grade 912 listings as they were low priced 17-Jewel movements. One 1930 offering shows no less than 8 distinctively different case styles for the Grade 912 and of course all were available with the "Secometer" dial.

Click for previous topic: Hamilton 912 Digital Question

Since the "Secometer" dials were simply an accessory like various extra cost items on a car Smile there would be no way to quantify how may were sold but it clearly was a very popular option then and favored by many collectors today.

Debbie

Smile

Posts: 5247 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Being sold during the 1930's and as a special order item likely limited the Secometer to an "educated Guess" range of less than 10% of the total 912 sales. A 1929-1931 period example that passed through my collection is clearly a factory finished and cased "custom" thin model.

Roy Ehrhardt's Hamilton watch Co. Production figures. etc/ book specifies 261,000 - odd 912 production as "912a" to confirm that the 912 model was thinner and smaller than a standard 12s and had a specially fitted factory case.

A population of 10% special ordered Secometer Dialed 912's puts the total production at less than 26,000, and possibly fewer if the secometer 912 was first offered late in the production lifetime of the 912 model (1923-1936).

It is interesting to note that 1936 marked the LAST YEAR ANY 12s watches were delivered from Hamilton Watch Co.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of Donald Trumble
posted
Very nice pictures Dave,

The watch case in your images is a "Farragut" as shown in the advertisement Lindell shared in the 2006 post that Debbie referenced in her post above.

Click for previous topic: Hamilton 912 Digital Question

Looks like Hamilton put a hard sell on the Secometer dial and my thinking would be they may have sold a great number of them. So great they also made a version available on Ball-Illinois and regular Illinois 12-size watches. Waltham also sold a similar dial and as Lindell explains it there were a few post-production South-Bend fully digital watches put together around that same early 1930s time period.

Here is a great 2 page topic showing a lot more information and pictures of each of them...

Hamilton 912 with Rotating Seconds (And Other Digitals!)

Don

Posts: 504 | Location: Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: April 02, 2005
IHC Life Member
Picture of Richard M. Jones
posted
I happen to have a Hamilton 922 Secometer. It is the 23j movement and definitely a secometer. The case is original and the watch was presented to a past grandmaster of a Masonic lodge. Does anyone know if Hamilton produced 922 Secometers? It certainly could have been "made up" by a jeweler.

Deacon

Posts: 1004 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: February 14, 2009
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
I understand that secometer dials were available on the 904, 918, and 922 grades, as well as the 912. I have a solid gold 904 secometer.

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Read this post... Secometer dials were a $5.00 accessory for ANY of the 12-size Hamilton watches!

Ethan was correct, as I have led you to Lindell's posts about this showing links to past topics, the "Secometer" was not considered a watch, but rather an accessory dial package. This is like fender skirts or a signal-seeking radio on the 1950s car. Here's a topic that Lindell posted in and there you will see several versions of a "Secometer" type dial on various makes and see the ad below this post showing that in 1930 their "Secometer" was a $5.00 extra cost accessory on any Hamilton 12-size pocket watch.

Hamilton 12-size and wrist watches are known by the case name (like "Farragut") then a movement was chosen and finally the dial. The case fit any Hamilton 12-size and so did the dial. Like a 1950s car, they chose 6 or V-8, then stick or automatic. Dress it up with fender skirts and that popular car accessory would then analogize to the "Secometer" watch dial.

Donny suggested above in this topic... "Hamilton put a hard sell on their 'Secometer' dial accessory package and my thinking would be they may have sold a great number of them. So great they also made a version available on Ball-Illinois and regular Illinois 12-size watches. Waltham also sold a similar dial and as Lindell explains it there were a few post-production South-Bend fully digital watches put together around that very same early 1930s time period."

Your reading assignment, STUDY this topic, both pages, every post...

Hamilton 912 with Rotating Seconds (And Other Digital Watches!)

Read, study, contemplate and do your own searches, it's easy to do the research!

Follow this search! IHC Find-OR-Search for "Secometer" dials

Join or renew and buy the newest watch guide here, read it like a novel from cover-to-cover...

Join and Support the Internet Horology Club 185™

Study, Read and Study some more, be a sponge and soak up all the knowledge spilling out in front of you!

Debbie

Smile

Hamilton $elling $5.00 dial option...

Posts: 5247 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002