WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

OK Guys & Gals...Help Identify this 18S Illinois...348035 "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1338
posted
Here's one I'm just not totally certain what it is!

It's kind of unusual, and I need your help and input to identify what it is and how it came about...

It's an 18S 11J Illinois "Columbia" grade, however
on the movement it is marked "Cleveland" and has what looks to be an "SB" Logo on the bottom plate similiar to a South Bend logo (at least to me)
Ser # 348035

Case is just a swing out silverode with gold dust cap, looks period correct...

OK....Here's what I looked up in the Blue Book and where it gets interesting to me...

Grade is Columbia, we've all seen those, but why the unmarked dial
(which looks right, again, tho, I could use your help on that issue)

Why is the movement marked "Cleveland"

What is the "SB" Logo

And...why does the Blue book say after the number
"Ind W Co"? What does that mean???

Now...what do we have here??

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

Posts: 3052 | Location: Ramsey, Illinois in the USA | Registered: December 15, 2008
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Tom

I think it is a model 3 Illinois. There was a private label made of that model marked Independent Watch Co. Fredonia NY.

I would guess yours is a private label for a jeweler in Cleveland with the initials SB.

This model watch is show coming with a sunk seconds enamel unmarked Roman numeral dial.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
I went through several Cleveland city directories for the late 1870's- early 1880's but I couldn't locate a jeweler with the initials SB or BS.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Also searched under watchmaker & didn't find one, could be the initials of two different jewelers in business together so I might have missed it if they didn't list themselves under their business name.

Also, I got to thinking, there are at least 10 Cleveland's in the US, so perhaps it isn't Ohio.

IHC Member 1338
posted
Tom;
Appreciate your help.
Maybe Tennessee? Or Indiana?

That SB looks pretty close to the South Bend markings on an 18S case, altho I doubt it is connected.

Anyone else have any ideas? Or maybe know what this is?

I did see one of these at the last show real similiar to this, he didn't have any answers as to what it was, I think he called it a "Logo Watch" and was wanting $450 for it. That sounds a bit high. Good to know the dial is original, it is almost perfect, has a couple flea bites on the rim under bezel.

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

Posts: 3052 | Location: Ramsey, Illinois in the USA | Registered: December 15, 2008
posted
Looks to be an Illinois private label watch. Check "Cleveland, SB or BS", on page 238 of the thick Illinois book. Cleveland is evidently a surname not a city.
Mike

Posts: 803 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee in the USA | Registered: September 02, 2009