• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Elgin 17 Size "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I had bought two elgin 17 size movements.
I then bought 1 16 size case and 1 18 size case but the movements will not fit in eather case.
what i would like to know is, is there a 17 size case that i will have to buy for these movement or did i just buy the wrong cases.
One of the movements is stem wind and the other is key wind and set with both on the back.
Any help with this matter will be greatly apprecated.

Posts: 13 | Location: Irvington, Kentucky in the USA | Registered: November 24, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Ruben please describe the mopvement or give us their serial numbers.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Thank you for your responce.
I am sorry in the first listing i stated that one is a key wind that is not so it is a lever set.
The stem wind has the serial# 508591 and saids leader on the movement.
The lever set has the serial# 1187804.
Once again sorry for the mix up and thank you for your responce.

Posts: 13 | Location: Irvington, Kentucky in the USA | Registered: November 24, 2008
Picture of Brian C.
posted
Ruben,
The Elgin data base says that ser. # 508,591 is a 17s and it will need a 17s case. Serial number 1,187,804 is a 16s but some were 14s.
Brian C.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Ruben, to add something to Brian's reply, the 16 size 1187804 is an 11 jewel, model 3, grade 92. There were about 150,000 made, and it should fit in a 16 size Hunter style case.

The S/n 508591 is most collectible. It is a Hunter case 7 jewel model 2 that is larger than a 16 size. This exact type was manufactured only once by Elgin with 10,000 serial numbers assigned to that run. A couple issues. You should try to find a heavy 16 size Hunter Case that retains the winding stem with a small screw. Then;
1. You can have the case "opened up" the slight amount to fit the dial and dial plate of this movement. and. . .
2. The correct winding stem can be used as a set screw attaching stem.

The movement is a rare early 3/4 plate movement and being marked "leader" certifies it's authenticity even more.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Thank you Brian and David.
So you are saying that i eather have to get a size 17 case or have a 16 size made larger to fit the 17 size movement.
Also one more question can i put the 16 size into a 16 size swing out case.
The 16 size case i have has the stem still in it as well as the movement.
Is there a way to remove the stem piece from the movement so the stem section from the case would fit.
Once again thanks for your help.
Ruben

Picture of Brian C.
posted
Ruben,
First pull the stem out as to set the watch. Then remove the two case screws. Your movement should then come out. Now, just try and put the new movement in the case. If it fits, you'll have a sidewinder.
Brian C.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
posted
Thanks Brian.
How ever the movement is not in the case and the case does not have a movement in it.
The movement does how ever have a little thing on top that i can wind it with and the case has the same thing in it so i can not put the movement in the case without removing on of these things.
Thanks Ruben

Picture of Brian C.
posted
Ok Ruben,
If you have a small stem coming from the movement, you will need to get a female stem for your case. Somebody here may be able to help, if that's what you need. Hard to tell without pictures.

posted
Hello again Brian.
I am not sure how to send photos thru this site.
If you have an e-mail address i can send them to i will send them so you can see just what i mean.
But i will not be able to send them till tomorrow.
Thanks Ruben

Picture of Brian C.
posted
Ruben, you're not alone when it comes to posting pictures.
You may send the pictures to me. Just click on the e-mail address in this post. Make sure you put something watch related in the subject matter.
Brian C.