• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

NAWCO "CHALLENGE" CASES "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I recently acquired a 12-size Illinois in a Nawco Challenge case. There are no other markings. It's white so I assume it's white gold filled, but it could be plated. Does anyone know the gold content (if any) of these cases?

Posts: 676 | Location: Oak Ridge, Tennessee USA | Registered: December 08, 2002
posted
John,

The Challenge case is listed as being a 10 year
case.. So gold filled I would assume..but not very thick..Others by this company are:

King 25 year
Mikado 5 year
Ohio 15 year
Security 20 Year

John Pavlik

Posts: 638 | Location: Green Bay, Wisconsin USA | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
Thanks, that's good to know. I will be careful not to wear off the gold. The watch is a hunting movement in an open face case with the second bit at 3:00 and is a private label watch from Archie Tegtmeyer in Milwaukee.

Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
But... John P, Could that be just on the yellow gold, because it does also list a Sterling Silver with their cases? Are the Challenge seen in BOTH? I would like to know too!

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
posted
John, Very interesting. I also have a 16S silver OF NAWCO Challenge case. I got mine about 6 months ago. When I got it, it was tarnished and looked to tarnish like a GF case. I looked it over and could find no metal content listed for the case, either inside or out. Sometimes they will put the metal content on the bottom of the case. Without the metal content listed, I was sure it was base metal, but it looks like GF, feels like GF and tarnishes like GF. Now I have my answer, I guess it's a WGF 10 yr case.

Pic is included

Tom

posted
This information comes from Roy Ehrhardt's Trade Mark Book 1976..has most American Watch case manufactures and markings..Tom I have a Bunn Spec in a yellow Gold Filled case by this Co and I think it is a pretty neat case. Well made..

John

Posts: 638 | Location: Green Bay, Wisconsin USA | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
John P,
That's the book I have too, and that's why I asked. I don't know much about cases, so I thought I could pick up a little more information on this one.
If it looks white gold to John A, I thought it may be Silver too, and wondered if you knew if they made the Challenge in both yellow and white gold, or if maybe you had seen them in both.
Of course there's white gold filled, but have no idea if they made the Challenge in that type of case.
I figured that if it wasn't the gold filled then maybe it was Silver, but I'm not up on cases. (I assumed WG Filled)
Maybe some can share what they have seen this case made in? I'd like to add it to the list.
So I should add WG filled to the Challenge list right?
Thanks,

Sheila

Picture of Jim McKinney
posted
Just an FYI - but . . . Nawco also made the GF Burlington Bulldog case which was considered to be a "heavy duty" railroad model.

Posts: 231 | Location: Northern Virginia in the U.S.A. | Registered: April 10, 2004
posted
Here's the Nawco case. Front

posted
Nawco case back

posted
Nawco case edge, Very elaborate decorations cover most of the case

posted
John A,
I may not know cases, but that's a nice watch! I like it. The case detail is great. I have a few like this, but mine don't have the seconds at the 3:00 like yours.
Really nice watch.

Sheila

Picture of Tom McIntyre
posted
Shiela, I don't think I have ever seen a silver case with the 1920's vintage Tuxedo stripes like these NAWCO Challenge cases seem to have.

I would go with GF and presume they made them in both yellow and white.

Posts: 633 | Location: Boston, Massachusetts USA | Registered: November 25, 2002
posted
Tom,
Thank you, that's great to know. I like to write down everything, or make a note, so I can use it when I need to know. This is great.
I also try to collect trademarks that I don't usually see, and try to keep them with the markings that are on the case, this way, if I look it up in the books and it's not there, I can check out what you guys have shared.
I'm trying, to not take anything for granted, until I get used to cases a little more.
It's got to be so simple for those of you here, that have been doing this for so long, but for me, I still need to ask, so I can learn.
Assuming has gotten me into trouble before, so until I get some of this down, I need to ask.
My list IS getting better.
Thank you for the information,

Sheila