Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton #6 and #14 case pictures? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Robert M. Sweet
posted
Would someone care to post photos (not cat. or adv.) of the model #6 and #14 Hamilton? Thanks in advance for your help.

Robert

Posts: 553 | Location: Southwest Virginia U.S.A. | Registered: December 27, 2004
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Well Robert,

Here's the Hamilton Case 6 number 714908 in White Gold-Filled housing 992 movement 2542039 from 1929 production.

Lindell

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Will oblige, have to dig the 14 out of the safe..... may be tomorrow...

see Lindell posted a 6, have one of those with original box...

posted
Lindell,
Thanks again for another "outstanding" photo. Evidently, the production of the #6 was one of the shortest of the "Railroad Series". Again, I appreciate yours and Terry's assistance and the others of this chapter as well.

Robert

Posts: 553 | Location: Southwest Virginia U.S.A. | Registered: December 27, 2004
posted
Well, I am still behind, but did dig out the model 14...
this is of course not a 'perfect' example, but you gotta take what you can find sometimes.

posted
Bow area detail rear view...

posted
Bow area detail front...

posted
Case markings....
Note it is marked Hamilton and Nickel-Chrome

There appears to be no marking on the bottom of the case center ring.

I believe this to be an original example, the melamnie dial has the typical shrinkage marks... and the case does show wear.

posted
This is an image I 'snagged' of a model 14 box label...

posted
Nice Terry

Thanks for the digging. It was worth it ... on this end.

Charlie

posted
Terry,
Thanks again for a excellent series of photos. The Model 12 and 14 were both made of Nickel-Chrome and were lower priced. The Hamilton 1950 Catalog lists the 992B in model "A" and "11" cases at $90.00 while the model "14" with 992B was only $69.50.

Thanks,
Robert

posted
ah......... but the model 12 and 14 are marked differently.....

The model 12 is advertised in the 46-47 cataloge as a 'base metal' case... (which understandingly can have different definitions), whereas the model 14 is listed as a 'nickel-chrome' case

The model 12 cases (that have been seen so far) are marked "defiance" and "base metal"... have one listed on board somewhere with original factory label....

it is true these cases could have a chrome plating......

Yes, it seems they were a 'price leader'... which is also why I speculate they may not have been packaged in the plastic filp top boxes...

posted
Terry,
Thanks for the clarification and distinction. This brings up a seperate question! What is the difference between the Model 16 and the "Traffic Special" housing the "974" in the 1936 Hamilton catalog? They look identical.

Thanks,
Robert

posted
Indeed they do.....

From examples I have observed........

The "traffic special" from the 30's is marked "10k Gold Filled" and has a numerical serial number... The Model 16 from the 'late 40's' on... has a serial number preceeded by an "R" or a "P".....

This is still one of those things that is undergoing active research.... It "may" be possible the early case was used with the earliest 992b... note i say "may".... documentation would be needed.......

This is a label for a traffic special that 'looks' like a model 16... It is equipped with a 'cpr' dial.

This image is courtsey of Jim Haney

posted
And the image of the watch and box...

(This image courtsey of Jim Haney)

posted
Terry,
Thanks again for your explanation and splendid display. I'm really surprised these boxes have survived for over 70 years.

Robert

posted
That is one reason the boxes are so special..... the survival rate is relatively low... and they become separated from the rest of the watch...

posted
Robert

Since you are off on the Mod #16 & traffic spl, you might want to read this thread. We are seeing more of these cases, just don't know what they are yet.
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=3206049661&f=1086047761&m=456102697&r=129109008#129109008
Charlie

posted
Hello Charlie,
I would "second" Tom Huber opinion, more and more unanswered question! Do you think your "mystery" case could possibly be a different "variation" model #12? There are 2 "varieties" of the model #2. The picture, Ed Parsons, posted appears to be very similar to the model #12 except the pendant is raised somewhat on a shoulder or pedestal. I believe if Hamilton was introducing a new model the change would been more significant.

Thanks,
Robert

posted
Good catch on that raised platform on the specimen Ed posted. Mine does not the platform, so there's another variation.

My best guess is this "mystery" case is essentially a model 12 in GF. There hasn't been any documentation to support it.

It could have preceded the base metal model 12? It is marked Hamilton and I have seen more of them than the base metal #12 version. BUT, the base metal #12 is catalogued and I have seen a boxed example in base metal and the box is marked 12.

A stare & compare with both cases in hand will make a believer out of you. The only discernable differences are: 1) the type of metal, 2) the markings in the case, & 3) a very slight variation in the bevel of the crown...something that could change during the production life of any case.

Was this a stock Star case that Hamilton ordered with their logo?

Did hamilton design this case first, and when it needed a cheaper case, ordered it in base metal? If so was it 10 yrs later, 20, 30 ?
(Actually most of the seen GF examples had 992b movements that were contemporary to the 46-47 catalog).

Was it just a timing situation that made the base metal case the model #12 instead of the GF one? It only showed up in one catalog.

Curiously, the boxed example model #12 in base metal is not marked Hamilton. The case (& mov't) numbers to the box, and it matches the cat pic. It is only marked Defiance with serial #.
I found another base metal defiance case that carry's a 992 ... it is marked the same as the boxed example and is a dead ringer for it. Here's the ebay photo.

It is an interesting twist to the Hamilton case study. Now if we can just come up with a GF boxed example ....

posted
Hello Charlie,
I totally agree that you have a model #12. My theory is that during WW2, Hamilton mostly produced 3992B, 4992B, and others war time instruments,and very few commercial watches, and after the war ended as they resumed commercial watch production they initially used low cost metals (like base metal), but later used more precious materials like Gold filled. This would correlate with the fact you see more gold filled and fewer base metal model #12's. This would also reinforce the fact that you see contemporary 992B movements in gold-filled cases.

This Hamilton case study is very interesting and hopefully someone will come forward with a boxed GF model #12.

Robert