• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

HELP NEEDED TO IDENTIFY HAMPDEN MOV"T "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I'd like some help in identifying the jewel count in this 18S HC Hampden movement. ( Serial # 295732 )

Thanks

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

Posts: 976 | Location: Texas in the U.S.A. | Registered: January 27, 2004
posted
Here's the front side which also shows the 14K Box Hinge HC. You may recall I recently bought Samie's 18s, 23J Hampden New Railway PW with the intention of putting that movement in this gold HC.

Any opinions/advice is encouraged and more than welcome.

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

Posts: 976 | Location: Texas in the U.S.A. | Registered: January 27, 2004
Picture of Frank Juchniewicz
posted
Hi Dave

The movement looks like it has 11 jewels based on one with a close serial number to this one. It seems that with the model 2,18s movements,when the jewels are friction fit, the count is 11,and when in screw-down settings, it's 15 jewels. If I am wrong in my judgement,corrections are welcome.

Frank

Posts: 440 | Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: January 28, 2003
IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
Dave,
I believe that it is an 11 jewel movement. Most of the serial numbers around yours in the Hampden Watch Book by Hernick & Arnold are also 11 jewels, but to really tell for sure, you have to pull the dial. The 11 jewel movements have jewels on the top plate for the third, fourth, escape and pallet arbors, but are plain metal bearings on the bottom (pillar) plate. A good rule of thumb, that works most of the time, is if the top plate has burnished in jewels, it's an 11 jewel, if it has screwed down jewel settings, it's a 15 jewel.

Frank,
You have to stop typing faster than me. Big Grin

Ed Ueberall
IHC Member 34
The Escapement

Posts: 620 | Location: Pooler, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002
Picture of Frank Juchniewicz
posted
Hi Ed
Sorry about that,but I'm trying something new, for me, two finger typing. Smile Smile

Frank

Posts: 440 | Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: January 28, 2003
IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
Two fingers??? Why didn't I think of that? Roll Eyes Big Grin Smile

Ed Ueberall
IHC Member 34
The Escapement

Posts: 620 | Location: Pooler, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002