Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Wooden watch boxes. "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
What do you think of my first attempt at reproducing the wooden shipping boxes of old?

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
NICE REAL NICE Smile
A little felt in the bottom and a padded top should be great Wink
How much can you make them for Confused
Should be quite some interest Eek
Regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
Picture of Richard Romero
posted
Ed,
That's beautiful wood looks like walnut? Nice craftsmanship I like how the grain matches up. Very nice indeed.
RR

Posts: 1413 | Location: Fremont, California in the USA | Registered: February 06, 2010
posted
Nice burl piece, Ed. Walnut always looks good; I like the biscuiting at the corners.

Posts: 2962 | Location: Western New York in the USA | Registered: March 24, 2008
posted
Beautiful, Love to have one for a 18s.
Mike Keirsey

Posts: 38 | Location: Northeast Ohio in the USA | Registered: July 28, 2009
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Ed, congratulations. You put my mind to racing . . . what could we do making those with a 2.5 mm beveled edge White crystal window and putting in Waltham 8-day movements . . . Making any 16-18s watch into a small stand-up Desk Clock . . . Cool . . . or you just enjoy that fine piece of wood!

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Phillip Sanchez
posted
Ed, Just lovely. You put it up, I will bid. Big Grin

Posts: 4975 | Location: North Georgia Mountains in the U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2006
posted
that is really nice ED! if you can make those for a nice price I would like to have one or two.

Posts: 458 | Location: Norfolk, Virginia in the USA | Registered: July 24, 2009
IHC Life Member
posted
I can personally attest to how nice Ed's work is. I am privileged to have one of these.

Thanks Ed!

Roger

Posts: 1078 | Location: Ticonderoga, New York USA | Registered: March 01, 2008
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Thank you all for your comments.
The boxes are made from some Black Walnut I have had for a very long time. I almost had enough to make 6 boxes. One has a Cherry top and bottom.
They are lined with felt cloth and the tops are padded.
I have plans to make more when I get a chance. A few for the big old 18s RR watches and a few for the Hamilton 992b's & 950b's. The 992b & 950b series watches have the same size case diameter and a wide type bow. Pendant and bow sizes vary greatly. This will make it easier to make the insert that holds the watch.
I do not have any idea what it would cost to make one of these. This has been a "labor of love" for me. The material and hinges I had. The next ones I will have to purchase more lumber for, and burl is expensive.
I will place some of each up for auction when I complete them.
Thanks again for your comments.
Ed

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
That sounds very fair, looking forward to it.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004