Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton 932 Questions "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Douglas Addy
posted
Hello:

Today I stopped by local watch shop and talked some morning talk. He produced a Hamilton 932 with a SN in the low 200's. He is willing to part with this for 1800 $. I have never paid this much for a watch and was wondering if any body could give some advice. The latest price guide I have says 1200 $ but that is dated 1994. I haven't received my new guide. In Mail at present.
Thanks for any help you may give.

Doug

Posts: 138 | Location: Magdalena, New Mexico USA | Registered: April 01, 2006
IHC Life Member
posted
1600.00 is high book in the current guide. This seems plenty for this watch. What is the condition like?

Larry

Posts: 661 | Location: Wisconsin in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 07, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of Douglas Addy
posted
Larry

At the time I was talking to him I did not pay close attention to the watch. After arriving home I started thinking about it. If the consenous is that it is worth a futher look I will return and check things out closer. Price put me off at first but I am starting to agree with buy the best you can afford. Couldn't afford much with family at home but I am now retired and am begining to say what the heck.
I have deceided cost is not as important but I do not want to totally support the sellers life style.

Thanks

Doug

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Doug,

Here is my philosophy on buying nicer items for your collection.

Being willing to pay a premium price for a premium item makes sense when you consider the market will in time catch up with and eventually pass the price you paid. In the meantime you not have the enjoyment of ownership but the realization you probably would not have easily found a nicer one.

That 932 in the lower numbers deserves a premium and always will. They represent a unique part of early Hamilton Watch Company history, therefore something truly worthwhile.

If the condition is there and it is in that low 201-400 range it will be difficult to leave the store without it. "Buy only the best, step away from the rest and don't look back" is the way I think of such things. Watches such as you are contemplating very rarely become available my friend.

We are all looking forward to seeing it!

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of Douglas Addy
posted
The one I am looking at is private label with a display case. There is one chip by the setting lever. Otherwise the watch is in beautiful shape, running and keeping good time. I am pretty sure that I will buy it. I have untill 1 PM tomorrow to make the final decision.

The private label is marked on Dial and Movement,I can't remember name but it is marked (Jeweler's name), Norwalk, Conn. Oh and the SN is 229

Thanks
Doug

Picture of R. J. Lucke
posted
Doug,

In case you're interested, serial number 229 was received in finishing on Jan. 15, 1894 and sold to J. Spencer & Co. of Norwalk, Conn. on July 10, 1894.

Posts: 229 | Location: Nebraska in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 24, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of Douglas Addy
posted
R.J.

Thanks for this info. This is the name on the dial and movement of this watch. This makes me all the more sure that it is orginal.
With this info I am now sure that I will buy it tomorrow.

Thank You

Doug

IHC Life Member
Picture of Douglas Addy
posted
I bought the watch today and am very happy. All serial numbers match. The case and dial are signed J. Spencer & Co. Norwalk, Conn. in fancy script. This watch is even marked 16 jewels which I believe J. Spencer must have specified as it written right by signature.
Sorry though I cannot supply pictures untill tomorrow. Grabed the camera - Dead Battery_. I will try to get pictures tomorrow and post.
I want to thank everyone for their help and guidenance. IHC 185 is the best.

Doug

IHC Life Member
Picture of Douglas Addy
posted
Took a couple of pictures for you gentlemen. I hope they post halfway decent. Haven't clened or done anything since purchase. A little more dial damage than I thought but still not bad:

IHC Life Member
Picture of Douglas Addy
posted
Dial

IHC Life Member
Picture of Douglas Addy
posted
Front with bezel on

IHC Life Member
Picture of Douglas Addy
posted
rear with bezel on. I can only find one set of case screw marks on this case. Have not removed movement yet to see if any info avail on case. Going to wait untill I finish setting up shop.

Hope you enjoy

Doug

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

That chip out of the dial is all too common with 18-size Hamilton movements.

On Hamiltons that "shipper spring" is a very strong compound spring and it tends to essentially slam the lever shut against the dial causing the kind of unfortunate dial damage we see on this example.

Cleaning the dial would improve it noticeably. So far as filling in the chip, there are different schools of thought and my suggestion is to do nothing that is not easily reversible. I have been experimenting with this.

UPDATE: Here is a later topic on repairing Doug's dial... "Hamilton 932 Dial Repairs"

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002