Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton 983 case markings..... is this 18K? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
posted
Greetings to all, and forgive me if I make any procedural errors, as this is my first post! Smile

My Father was a lifelong watchmaker, who sadly passed away about two years ago. I am slowly, and sadly, liquidating a portion of his Pocket watch collection Frown

I came across a beautiful little Hamilton 983, that according to the guide, has an 18k case. But, as a novice, I dont see any markings on the case to show it is indeed 18k. I have taken a couple pics of the markings, and if someone could offer their opinion, I would appreciate it!

Now if the pics just show up....

http://s258.photobucket.com/al...t=case-marking-1.jpg

http://s258.photobucket.com/al...t=case-marking-2.jpg

Posts: 248 | Location: Tacoma, Washington in the USA | Registered: March 10, 2009
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Hello Kevin

Welcome to the club & glad to have you as a member.

The case in your photos is a gold filled case, I have owned other Hamilton cases with those markings & they were gold filled.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Kevin where are selling or auctioning this I would sure be interested in the watch. Smile

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
IHC Life Member
posted
Thanks Tom - I've seen the warranted for 10 year, 20 year, and the like, just not the "permanently" marking like on this case.

And for Samie, thanks for your interest, and give me a few days and I will list it on this site for sale. I have been selling on Ebay for years and have recently sold some of my Fathers equipment there. You can see my feedback under the users name "neunik" - without the quote marks. it will be nice to give Ebay a rest, at least once, and save all those fees.

One thing I know I will need the groups help with, is liquidating a LOT of old watch parts, of which I know VERY little! My mother, who is 90 years old said "just take it all to the dump", but I know that one mans trash, is another mans....?

Thanks guys!

Posts: 248 | Location: Tacoma, Washington in the USA | Registered: March 10, 2009
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Hi Kevin

The members here are always interested in buy, so please do list some here too.

I had the same question about those markings on those cases but after asking here about them I learned it was just another way of saying gold filled but perhaps with a little thicker layer.

Look forward to seeing what you got, I am afraid after I am gone my kids are going to haul all my stuff to the dump!

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Kevin, We have some very experienced members of IHC 185 near you who may be persuaded to help you rummage through the watch parts and arrange for their disposal in a much more effective way than "land fill".

The first person who comes to mind is Desmond Lundy, who lives in Victoria. you can e-mail Desmond at; fermenthaus@shaw.ca
I wish I was closer, I would love to help you too.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Kevin, Welcome to the '185 EXPRESS' as I like to call our association, it is good to have you 'ON BOARD'....

There is another member that comes to mind that is fairly close to you as well, Mike Hodge, he lives in Klamath Falls and sometimes he is in Airzona as well....

I obviously cannot speak for Mike but you can email him at - mike4ksu@hotmail.com.... he may be able to give you some assistance....

Best Regards,
Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of Richard M. Jones
posted
Hi Kevin, I am new also and there are a lot of fine members here. I have always found the permanent mark to mean gold filled and I have seen a few cases marked 30 years, which I was told years ago, were sold as permanent. At any rate they are high quality cases. Regards and happy to have you.

Deacon

Posts: 1004 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: February 14, 2009
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
kevin some of the pocket watch parts can fetch good money, balance staffs ,balance jewels ,Mainspring etc..I sure wish i was closer too you .. Smile

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
IHC Life Member
posted
Thanks folks for all your help - and advice. It's obvious I've come to the right place!
I will be posting for sale the Hamilton 983 that I had the question about, soon, as well as some of the parts and assorted gear from my Fathers estate as time allows.

Thanks again !

K. Scott Moller

IHC Life Member
posted
Samie -it's listed in the for sale portion of the site Smile