• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton 982/992 PW? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Seeing the current thread about Hammy 991/993 made me look at my 992. It is labeled 982/992 ser # 1677054 model 2.

What do I have? 16s, 21 jewel, lever set.

I have no movement pics.

Just to confuse issues, I can't open it to get a pic. The movement is hinged to the case and the pendent needs to be pulled out in order to swing open the case. After I had it serviced by a local watchmaker, I did open it and didn't know I had to pull the pendent and broke the "square winding bar" inside the pendent. I took it back to the watchmaker and he replaced the broken piece. I have not opened it since and now can't pull the pendent out. How much force does it take and are there any secrets to pulling the pendent so I can open the case?

Thanks for any help.

Bernie

spencer bernstein

Posts: 37 | Location: Massachusetts in the USA | Registered: March 16, 2018
posted
I messed up...I don't know where I got 982 in my notes about this 992 watch...DUH for me...I got it open and it clearly is a 992...no 982 anywhere on the movement.

as to question #2. The stem does not pull out. I tried to wiggle the crown and finally it opened, but the crown does not move in or out. Now I can't close it completely. I have a bad feeling that when it was repaired the wrong stem was installed. It winds and sets (lever set) correctly, but the movement doesn't fit into the case, therefore the crystal can not be screwed on to the watch. any thoughts before I go back to the watchmaker?

Thanks again,

Bernie

spencer bernstein

IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
Hi Bernie,

Sometimes even though the crown will not pull up you can pull up, wiggle and rotate the crown while pressing down on the bottom of the swing out part just below the seconds chapter. I have to do this with some of my watches. One of the reasons I don't like the swing out case. Not sure if yous swings out that way or from the side but the procedure would be the same.

Good luck,
Harry

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011
IHC Member 1357
posted
Spencer, you may need to remove the stem from case,and clean and oil
the sleeve on the stem. If you do not have a stem wrench to remove the
stem. Then remove the crown and place a drop of oil into the sleeve
from top. Replace crown and work the stem up and down several times.
Make sure no oil is still dripping off of stem before you place it
into the movement,as you do not want this oil in the movement.
Good luck.
Roger

Posts: 4092 | Location: Carbon, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 24, 2010
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
The stem will need to be pulled upward by the crown until you feel/hear it click. That pulls the winding stem up a bit and allows the "swing-out" cases to pivot upward and be opened by the thumbnail indention at the bottom of the case AFTER you unscrew or remove the front bezel. That fingernail tab or indention allows your fingernail to lift up the swing open part of the case that holds the movement so that you can service or examine the movement AFTER you pull the stem upward and feel/hear it click in place.

-------------------------------------------------

"Instructions for Opening a Swing-out Case"

Now pay attention, because the swing-out case is the trickiest of the bunch. These cases were also called "swing-ring" or "swinging ring" cases by their original manufacturer, the Crescent Watch Case Company.

More people damage their watches trying to open swing-ring cases than any other case style. That's because the watch movement is mounted in a ring which is hinged to the inside of the case body. The case body and back are made as one piece, so there is no separation between the case back and the case body. The swing-ring case was advertised as the most dust-proof and moisture-proof case of its time.

To open a swing-out case, you first remove the front bezel and crystal, which is almost always a screw-off front. Once the bezel is removed, you'll see that the movement mounting ring is hinged, usually at the 12:00 position (sometimes at the 3:00 position). Often there's a little notch opposite the hinge where you can insert a thumbnail or case-knife to lift up the movement.

BUT here's where most folks get in trouble !! The winding stem, which connects the winding knob (the crown) to the watch mechanism, is still engaged in the movement ! If you attempt to swing the movement up and out of the case, you will feel resistance when you start bending the stem sideways. If you force it, as many people oddly seem to believe is the right way to proceed, you will almost certainly break the stem, and then you will no longer be able to wind or set the watch. To make it worse, when that happens, you'll be so upset that you won't notice the little broken stem part rolling around inside the case, and it will fall out and be lost, making it much more difficult for your watchmaker to reproduce the stem without being able to measure the broken pieces.

So the answer is simple: just be sure to pull the crown and stem out into the "setting position" before trying to swing-out the movement. Even if it's a lever-set watch, you'll be able to snap the crown out a notch if it's a swing-out case. And don't force anything! If you try to swing the movement out and it catches partway and doesn't want to come out, try wiggling and turning the winding crown a bit to see if it will come free. But if it doesn't open easily, don't force it or you'll break the stem.
--------------------------------------------------

After your service or examination, you would push the swing-ring holding the movement back downward in place and THEN push the crown downward which pushes the stem down and secures the swing-ring in place. All swing-ring cases require the pendant to be pulled upwards to access the movement.

If yours isn't working properly, take it back to the repairman and "copy & paste" this reply and have him read this and explain to you after reading, what is wrong with your case if anything.....

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
posted
Thanks guy"s for the advise...I will go to the watchmaker when I have a chance. Buster, update on Accutron railroad Quartz WW. Running great, daily driver. I am very pleased...

Bernie

spencer bernstein

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Splendid Sir !!

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009