Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

The 21 jewel Gallet Canadian RRy watches "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi all, Happy New Year,
I was wondering if anyone has ever seen an 18 size 21 jewel, "Interocean" Gallet pocket watch. I have been trying to look up the Gallet watches and as yet have only seen the " Interocean" as a 16s watch.
Now saying that I believe that the "Interocean 16s" watches are circa 1910 or so, while the 18s 21j Gallet, unnamed was an earlier watch, starting about 1898 or so.
This leads me to think that possibly, with the little history on these watches, where the Interocean, seems to have more likelihood of actually being classed as a rr watch, while the other as long as it met the requirements set out,was not. Could this be as a result of the 18s watches at the time of the Interoceans introduction, about the time that 18s watches were falling out of favor with RR et.al, that they just did not meet the norms of the day.
Just some question that have been bothering me for some time ?????
Bill

Posts: 1278 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: May 19, 2008
IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
The Gallet 23 jewel watches, both 16s and 18s are marked Interocean.

21j and below just say Eaton's on the movement.

I emailed Gallet asking them about these watches but they never did respond.

This is a screenshot of what it says on the Gallet site:

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
This is a most interesting watch. A 16s (corrected from 18s) 21J RRG Eaton passed through my collection that was signed "The T. Eaton Co. Ltd", but lacking the "Inter Ocean" nomenclature. The plate layout suggests Omega . . . yet the regulator and "click" fitments are not that obvious. Early Gallet/Eaton?

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Another that passed through was a 16s, 21J named "Democrat". the cap jewels were just covers for a 17J movement. (Note staff detail close-up of escape wheel)

It WAS a classy looking fake! Hardly acceptable to Eaton.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Hi Dave,
The one I have is a 21j adj 5 pos. lever set, 18s, full plate watch, making it RR grade. Remarkably Walth. 1892 similarity.
It seems though that the only ones marked Interocean that I have seen are 16s 23 jewel, I have never seen a 18s Interocean.. making me think they never actually made them.
Bill

posted
I have had it COA'd since these photos

IHC Member 1541
posted
Bill, 1/2 way down the page 18s 23j Gallet Interocean #131827 Roman 24-hour dial.

There is another a few posts below with an arabic dial.

And another thread: Help with identity of manufacturer - Gallet? #149217

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Bill, it looks like yours is the basis for the 23J "Interocean" sans the extra two cap jewels the I/O had added to the 3rd and 4th wheels.

Very interesting discussion. As all the clicks and Micro-adjusters on these beautiful examples are the same, we can most certainly credit the imagination of Gallet (sales manager) with these very nice specimens.

There is a 17J of this same Gallet/Eaton on eBay for US$80.00 BIN right now (regulator is there but somebody broke the arm off);

posted
Dave and Lorne,
Thanks for the info.
The Interoceans are all 23 jewel, I was overlooking that, and I have now seen an 18s in it.
Thanks again, my questions have been answered.
Bill

IHC Member 1110
posted
I was wondering if anyone has a 16s marked Interocean to show, I always knew about the 18s '92 model style Eaton/Gallets, but I never knew about or seen a 16s that had the Interocean marking.The more I see these, the more I want one!They don't show up very often, that's for sure!

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
IHC Member 1541
posted
quote:
I was wondering if anyone has a 16s marked Interocean to show

If you read enough sometimes you get rewarded.

This was the only auction photo and info, while I didn't know if it was a 18s or 16s I bid on this watch thinking, Canadian case, style of the numbers on the dial, E in a diamond, 23 jewels, gotta be an Interocean.

I won the auction and sure enough, 16s 23J Gallet Interocean. It runs well and while these photos are from the day I got it the dial cleaned up quite nicely.

IHC Member 1541
posted
Dial

IHC Member 1541
posted
Movement #137718

IHC Member 1110
posted
Wow Lorne, that's a beauty.Congrats on getting that one.As I said, I for one had no idea those also came in 16S.They look pretty similar to a '99 or '08 model Waltham.I know Waltham RR's were a big seller up there, maybe Eaton's had that in mind when they had Gallet build these for them.Thanks for showing it! Take care, Ted.

IHC Member 1110
posted
Lorne, I sent you an email about your watch. Thanks, Ted.

IHC Member 1541
posted
I was hoping for an 18s 23j Gallet Interocean but can live with 21j.

I have seen dirty non-runners but this is pretty well the scuzziest I have picked up that runs. Pretty good balance motion with just a flick of the wrist.

Looks like spiders have set up shop in the jewel settings.

Movement #126924

Bill, what is the serial number of your 21J?

IHC Member 1541
posted
DS dial, correct hands.

posted
Lorne,
My Gallet serial number is 126864, looks the same as yours. Just looked again, of course it looks the same only 60 #s off.
Bill