Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Tell Me About This Dial "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Bob Christie
posted
Is this a 4-footed Box Car? I took it off a early
992. Thanks

Posts: 162 | Location: Eldorado Springs, Missouri USA | Registered: August 11, 2005
Picture of Bob Christie
posted
Back of dial.

Posts: 162 | Location: Eldorado Springs, Missouri USA | Registered: August 11, 2005
posted
Bob

Looks like a 4-footed box car. I would think it was made after Hamilton moved on to the 3-foot dial, due to the style.....Robert

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Bob,

Dials such as you shared above cause confusion today due to three facts:

• First, the four foot dials were last used around 872000 which was 1912 production.

• Secondly, the Hamilton signature had changed from script to block letters by 1918 production.

• Third, that "HG" or "Heavy Gothic" design such as your dial did not appear until mid-1920s production.

The obvious question then arises as to how this four foot dial can be an apparently factory original dial and yet have the "Hamilton" in block letters as well as a design like much later dials. A reasonable and quite logical answer would be that what you have is a genuine factory-made replacement dial that as Robert surmised was made sometime after the 1918 change in Hamilton signature design. From yours and others like it that have surfaced it looks like, probably in the 1920s or later Hamilton made some replacement dials intended for use on their earlier four foot dial watches.

Perhaps at some point a dated factory offering or materials list will show up to confirm when and under exactly what circumstances such dials as yours became available. In the meantime these dials will continue to cause a great deal of confusion. When found on an early watch questions about whether or not all four feet are present arise, then when confirmed as in-tact the next issue is about authenticity. For what it's worth, if I were selling the dial I would present the dial as being a later, perhaps 1920s or 1930s factory replacement dial for watches made up to 1912 or thereabouts which require four foot dials.

Such a dials as yours are interesting, but of course as you might imagine knowledgeable collectors will not accept dials like that one as being authentic for use on an early watch due to them being of a much later design. Four-Foot Replacements such you shared with us have shown up in both the BM Numerical and the HG or Heavy Gothic as yours is, perhaps there are other designs as well. Hamilton called your particular style the "HG" or "Heavy Gothic" design in their advertising and materials listings. The "BM" first appeared about 1918 and the "HG" design like yours apparently shows up beginning in the mid-1920s time-frame.

Hope this is of help.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Bob, welcome to Chapter 185! Answers to questions such as the one you just posed is a major benefit of participation here.

Nice clear explanation Lin. I have seen bits and pieces on Hamilton factory replacement dials in various places, but never such a comprehensive treatment.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
posted
Lindell

Interesting, logical conclusion Lindell. The BM numerical four-footed exists....I have one....Robert

Picture of Bob Christie
posted
Hello Ed Parsons,
Thank you for welcoming me to Chapter 185. Also thank you for your input on the dial. I feel like the members of this chapter have a lot of intelligence and are eager to help. I would also like to thank Lindell for his insight and countless hours he puts into helping others.

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
You can say that again Bob! After only a brief time as a member, you have already gotten to the heart of the matter. Lin is the leader-by-example and the "glue" that holds Chapter 185 together. He puts in what amounts to a full-time job level of effort to make it all happen too.

I'm uncertain of how many members know about or appreciate the significance of that little piece of information, so I try to mention it from time to time.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004