Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Jeannot & Shiebler Cases "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
A current posting on a Ball-Hamilton points out how desireable is its solid gold Jeannot & Shiebler-made case. I collect watches in J&S cases, but they are fairly uncommon, and I only have six, all housing Swiss movements. I would love to see J&S examples from your collections, and to hear any information you have about this excellent casemaker.

To get the topic rolling, here is my 18k J&S-cased 36mm E. Leonville hunter.

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
And now, an 8-size J&S 18k hunter, housing a Patek Philippe (Jaques & Marcus PL).

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
Here is a plain polished 14k J&S OF case housing a C.H. Meylan rattrapante.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
Next is a bezel detail from an 14k J&S OF case housing an 0-size C.H. Meylan (Bailey, Banks & Biddle PL).

IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
Finally, here is the back of a massive 14k J&S OF case housing a Patek Philippe (Bingham & Walk PL). The complete watch weighs 134 grams.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
Here is a side view of the last case.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
Based on the examples in my collection, I would generalize that J&S made very high-end cases, mostly quite ornate, and mostly used to house Swiss movements.

Now, let's hear from you.

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
WOW Ethan, those are really beautiful....

What are the circa of some of these....

Thanks for showing these and for starting the string...

Regards,
Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
Thanks, Jerry. I see that I left out one watch, an 18k J&S OF case housing an 0-size C.H. Meylan (Frank F. Bonnet PL).

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of John J. Flahive III
posted
Those cases are incredible! I have never heard of that maker before. Thanks for sharing Ethan.

John III

Posts: 1755 | Location: Colorado in the USA | Registered: October 17, 2005
Picture of Brian C.
posted
Very nice cases Ethan.
Brian C.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
posted
Ethan,

I am too lazy to post proper pix and yours tell the story beautifully anyhow.

Great Grandpa's watch is what got me started in this hobby and you can see some info on it at
J & S Case

I had to buy this watch from my dad to save it from the gold diggers in the late 70's or early 80's.

happy hunting

Posts: 881 | Location: Arroyo Grande, California USA | Registered: February 22, 2004
IHC Member 179
E. Howard Expert
Picture of Harold Visser
posted
Here is a SERIV HOoward in a J&S case....

Posts: 352 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona USA | Registered: November 25, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
Great case, Harold!

posted
Ethan,

what a beautifull collection!
Does anybody knows the history of Jeannot & Shiebler watch case co.?

Andrea

Posts: 185 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky in the USA | Registered: September 02, 2008
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
The Early Ball cases were made by J&S a few years ago i owned 2 16 size 19 ball walthams both were in 14kt J&s cases and were also marked ball ..All the 14kt Ball cases i have seen so far which is very few were made by j&s that don,t mean all were ,,but the ones i have seen were J&s cases..

You sometimes see Ball watches in 14kt case made by keystone and other co,s but original Ball 14kt cases will be marked Ball either on the dust cover or in the outside case back.. Smile

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
posted
Andrea,

History of the American Watch Case by Warrem H. Niebling page 55 dates the company from circa 1892 in New York making 14k,18k and gold filled cases with the above trademarks.

Bill Kapp in NAWCC bulletin # 289 page 180 states that they were in business until 1910,

happy hunting,

Posts: 881 | Location: Arroyo Grande, California USA | Registered: February 22, 2004
IHC Member 179
E. Howard Expert
Picture of Harold Visser
posted
Here is what the Jeannot & Shiebler trademark looks like....

Posts: 352 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona USA | Registered: November 25, 2002