• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Montgomery Brothers (Jewelers) Dials "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Where can I find information on Montgomery Brothers dials such as this one?

Montgomery Bros. Dial

Posts: 105 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah in the USA | Registered: May 27, 2011
posted
Montgomery Bros. Dials???

Posts: 105 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah in the USA | Registered: May 27, 2011
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Now I see, you are asking about a private label dial for the Montgomery Bros. jewelry concern.

There is also a type of railroad watch dial with marginal minutes which was invented by a man named Montgomery. That is also called a Montgomery dial. Just had to get it clear which one you meant.

BTW, beautiful dial! Smile

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
posted
Sorry for the confusing topic. I have several of the "other" Montgomery style dials as well!!! LOL

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Donald

I will see what I can find on the Montgomery Brothers. I know they did carry a Rockford as their private label. Do you known what make the movement is on yours?

Just a quick search, so far I find that they jewelers in LA were George A. & James A. Montgomery, in business approx 1887-1930

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Not sure if your interested Donald but here is what I have so far.

This is from a book titled "Los Angeles from the mountains to the sea" pub. 1921

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
First page

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Second page

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
A photo from their store from Out West magazine 1899 Vol 10

posted
That helps alot. Thanks for the time and effort! They apparently private labeled some dials for their jewelry enterprises.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Richard M. Jones
posted
Hi Donald, The practice of "private" or custom labeling dials was pretty common during the 19th century and first decade of the 20th century. A wholesaler or jeweler buying 5 or more movements could have his mane or design placed on the dial, although I suspect your very nice dial would have been an extra charge to the jeweler! I collect Hampdens and have a number of watches with private dials. Sometimes these are called contract dials. I have seen some nice imported dials with jewelers names on them but made for American watches. Presumably these fancy dials were ordered by the jeweler as they were not modern reproductions.

Deacon

Posts: 1004 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: February 14, 2009
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
The color red in most anything collectable has a following. I like your dial, can we see the rest of the watch, please Confused

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
IHC Member 1338
posted
Donald;

I have had 1or 2 of the Montgomery Bros. dials thru the years, as Tom shows they were indeed out of LA. I'll try to find the watches I sold in my records. I do remember they were white porcelain railroad dials.

Is that the new "Dreamliner", Buster?

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

Posts: 3052 | Location: Ramsey, Illinois in the USA | Registered: December 15, 2008
posted
Here is the movement that came with the dial.

posted
A very nice Elgin 17j 3 finger bridge movement.

Posts: 1143 | Location: Chicago, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 05, 2010