Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Just received Ball Waltham "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1357
posted
16s.21jewels,s/nB206622 .Ihave the movt. no case.Dial is a little bit washed out and I have one that is very good.Thought I would replace it.There are no feet screws visable.How does the dial come off? Regards Roger

Posts: 4093 | Location: Carbon, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 24, 2010
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
If you don't see the 3 dial screw holes, then perhaps a "dust ring" is in place and needs to be taken off Smile

If you see the 3 dial foot screw holes, but no screws are in the holes, then start lifting it off with a blade at the set lever cut and ease around the diameter of the dial until the 3 feet are out of the holes.

Of course it could be glued or tabbed to the pillar plate. It's hardest to diagnose without pictures to see the problem or help with it.

It does sound like you possibly have a Ball Waltham, however, and not a Ball Hamilton as you stated. Perhaps you had better show us some pictures of it.... Confused

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Of course you will also want to remove the hands before trying to get the dial off!

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
IHC Member 1357
posted
Thanks Buster and Ed,it does have a dust cover.First time I have encountered this.I guess the next question.How does the cover come off?My camera is on the blink right now.Should have it tommorow. Roger

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Let's start with what you do have first..

Here is a picture, look at the case screws and where they are. In the picture a Ball Hamilton is on the LEFT and a Ball Waltham is on the RIGHT.

I think you will find you have a Ball Waltham. And in that case, you will need a Ball Waltham dial to swap out, as they do not interchange.

As to the dust ring, they are generally only hand tight. In any advent, remove the case screws, take a blade and work around the edges until it slips off.

regards,
bb

<Ball Hamilton on LEFT ~ Ball Waltham on RIGHT>

IHC Member 1357
posted
Thanks Buster will try that.Case screws at 11 and 5. Roger

IHC Member 1357
posted
Dial off new one on! Thanks Roger

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Very Good !!

There's a little glitch going on in this post that needs clearing up then we can say " next post " and move on !!

In the title Roger says "Just Received Ball Hamilton". Roger stated serial number B206622

That would make it a Ball Waltham as their blocked numbers in that series were B202001-B225000 from ca. 1904-1906.

On the other hand, Ball Hamilton 16sz. grade "999" serial numbers started with
B600001 around 1910 and ended with B655200 in about 1943.

Now, Roger says his watch has case screws at 11 and 5 o'clock Eek

I believe there are two errors in this post. First, I believe it is a Ball Waltham "if" Roger quoted the correct serial number. Second, Roger stated his watch has case screws at 11 and 5 o'clock. Looking and holding Roger's watch up exactly as in the two side by side pictures that I posted and saying that the crown wheel is at 12 o'clock, then Roger's watch should have case screws at 1 and 7 o'clock just like the pictured movement on the RIGHT >>>> Big Grin

I don't want someone confused in ID on a watch so perhaps we can clear this up. Also Roger successfully swapped out the dial, but it was with another Ball Waltham dial I do believe.

What do you say Roger ??

regards,
bb

IHC Member 1357
posted
Buster you are right.Looking at the rear of watch the screws are at 1 and 7.From front they are 11 and 5.Sorry for the confusion.Thanks Roger

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Whew !!

Perhaps the most confusing was me trying to explain all of this and express it on paper Smile

I was beginning to doubt myself Eek

If nothing else is garnered, we can see how important pictures are to a post. And when trying to ID a mvmt, and looking/describing a mvmt, forget about the dial side as to a relation of hours because.....

That's the other side folks Wink

The title to this post has now been changed to " Just received Ball W-a-l-t-h-a-m" Thanks !!

regards,
bb