• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Page 1 2 
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Any hope for my Seth? (Updated 11/2013 Hand & Dial Images!) "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Well, I guess it was just because I wanted a Seth Thomas model 5 for comparison, but I got one, and it needs EVERYTHING.

I think it needs a Balance Staff, Center Wheel, and hour wheel!!! and it doesn't look all that great either, but hey, I'm for the underdog anyway, so I got it. Pretty cheap, so no real loss. Think she can be repaired?

SN 350264

Sheila

350264 ctr whel balance hr wheel needed

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
posted
Sure have missed you guys. Russell was in the hospital and needs another heart surgery. He was in intensive care, and then just bounced back.!!!

Needs another stent, and some leg surgery too, but the test show he will be ok.

Good to be with WATCH PEOPLE again.

Sheila

Picture of Bob Kapinos
posted
Sheila,

Can't offer any advice on your watch, but it sure is great to have you back. Best of luck to Russell.

Bob

Posts: 183 | Location: Ona, West Virginia USA | Registered: May 01, 2005
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Sheila your thread answered my prayers for you and I hope that all goes as well as possible for the next steps in Russell's recovery. Shugart lists a S.T. 260 at $400 - $800 which suggests some considerable value to get it together. It looks like the regulator whip is missing too. When you refer to the "Center Wheel, and the Hour wheel" do you mean the two wheels that go under the dial? Those top wheels are much easier to find (I may have them here) than a Main wheel for a rare 21 Jewel watch like this because they were pretty common to all different jewel count movements.

For starters, maybe we should make a "list" of actual parts needed. The see what can be done to resurrect this.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
Picture of Brian C.
posted
Sheila & David,
When you get a parts list made up, let me know what you need, I may be able to help.
Brian C.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
posted
Thank you guys for your kind words, things look good today, so all is well.

Now for the parts.

Your kidding! right?

It has been my constant frustration when it comes to parts and taking watches apart. I know nothing about either.

I just noted what was in the auction.

I have gotten a movement that I WILL actually take apart this time, and when I do, and feel safe about taking this one apart, I will lay it out, and you can tell me what's missing.

But then again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yikes, I got scared just thinking about it.

Sheila

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
If you were about 2995 miles closer, I could be there in a Heartbeat to "walk you through" a disassembly.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Sheila Gilbert's Seth Thomas has arrived for restoration! For all concerned, Sheila has agreed to let us try to bring this 21 Jewel model 260 beauty back to life! It arrived today from Sheila as pictured below, and Brian C. and I have agreed to make this a "project" for Sheila. I will start a new thread as we progress to bring all of you up to date on this very fun and important restoration of a fine Timepiece. Hmm, on first look, it needs a Balance staff, Main Wheel, Cannon Pinion and Hour Wheel, some screws, a Dial, Hands, a Case (Sheila how about that 18s Silveroid you posted recently?).

posted
WOOO HOOO!!!!

This is fantastic.

I also have another Parts model 5 Seth, that maybe I should have sent with this one, but I didn't think of it. I will check and send you pictures, so you can tell me if it's one you want to consider for parts. I also have many cases, but you will have to walk me through which one I will need for it.

I found the picture.

The SN on this one is 208146

Below is the parts watch I have, and it needs a staff too, so that part won't help, but maybe others will?

Sheila

208146 Seth

posted
These are the parts that came with it, and it even RUNS!!! ??????????????

Sheila

208146 Seth3

posted
I have another one, SN 284674 but I can't find it.
I will have to take a few more things apart and let you know on this one.

ebay picture.

Sheila

Seth-284674

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Sheila the early model 5 you have that has a broken staff "and runs!" deserves a chance at being restored too, the other 15 jewel seth may have some useful parts if you find it let me know. Also, Brian C. has stated fairly clearly that he has parts enough for this but we have to compare notes later this week about what is really needed.

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Sheila, after taking this apart, I definitely could use the 15 Jewel you have if you can find it.

posted
OOOOOOOoooooo look at that! all apart!

ok, so you need the second watch, and how about a suggestion of what kind of case it will need.
Sheould we use the case screws from the first one?
Let me know what You and Brian think, and of course, you guys have to also let me know when I'm offering things that should not be used, because I don't know the difference.

I can't believe that it's already apart.

Hoo Raa............Eek Big Grin

PS I picked up the watch that had the parts with it, and while it was face down it started ticking, of course I thought it was another watch I keep on my desk, but SURE ENOUGH, it was the watch!!!! I didn't think it could do that.
I have no idea what the parts that are out of it are, but I thought with missing parts like that larger one, it couldn't run? Do they do that?

It only ticked a few times, then stopped, then again and again, so then I put it to my ear, It was the watch for sure, I couldn't believe it.

Wish I knew them better, then I would know what is normal.
I'll look for the other watch tonight.

PSS the 208146, when looked at through a loupe actually has very light gold color, and maybe some damaskeening.

Sheila

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
So Far these are the parts we need;

Regulator for this model Whip style
Balance Staff
Main Wheel or staff
Cannon Pinion & Hour Wheel
2 more matching Movement Screws
Good Dial and Hand Set
Decent Lever-set Case.

It's really amazing that all the Jewels are good, and most of what is needed besides the above list might be to better screws that would clean up, and most important a GOOD Seth Thomas Dial. I will check all my stuff for a Dial, and I am sure that Brian is doing the same.

The movement you have that "tick's" deserves restoration too, the 15j movement may help on both counts if necessary, but for now hang on to them until Brian and I have seen what we can pull together.

posted
Well,
I have never lost a watch before, but this one is hiding.
I did find 2 more Seth model 5's, but 1 is fine, and running, and the other has nothing but plates and 2 parts.
SN 209255 and it's really pretty, with nice 2 tone movement. Too bad it has almost no parts.

It does have a lever, and 17 jewels, so you can add that to the list of parts.

Gee I only have about a million more places to look for the other movement, and the more I look, the more I find that I forgot about.
I thought I had more of this finished than what is showing up. I need more storage cases.

OOPS! I thought you needed a lever for the watch, you mean a lever case right? I think I have a few, so I will look through them and you can tell me which ones you can use for that movement.

Sheila

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
The lever set case needs to fit the seth and have the lever slot in the rigtht place for the seth lever, and you do have that nice 17 jewel movement with the lever to check that out.

posted
I have no idea where the lever goes on the one I sent you. I'm like a 2 year old when it comes to all this. It's the one time I'm really lost.
Below is an ebay photo of the other watch I mentioned. 209255 but I think the wheel is missing, unless they put it back inside the movement. There is one wheel in there, and all the jewels look intact, but that's all I can tell you except the other 2 parts are included. I will send it out to you on Monday.
I'll check all my cases and see which ones have the lever cut out and take it from there.
I will also get a photo of the lever on this watch and post it tomorrow.

Sheila

Seth 209255- mine

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Sheila, The lever case we need would also fit the other 17 jewel "ticks" movement you have which is nearly the same as one of my "complete" Seth's (see pic below). That "Wheel" you show in the last picture is the main wheel WITH a cannon pinion. Given that it fits our project watch that will help a lot as will many of the bits and pieces that can be "farmed" out of that partial movement. I could use the cock Jewel, but will do with whatever comes when I return home in mid-June from our fun Alaska cruise.

posted
OK, I see, I thought it had to be a spacific lever case. I have a few of them, so I will take a photo of them and post them. Remember I don't know what is a date match on these, so you guys will have to pick the one to use.

I forgot about that cruise! When do you get to go?

So exciting!

I will gather up all the stuff and send it out unless you want me to wait.

I have lots of parts, (mixed, big and small) so I will send them along too, if you want them.

Sheila

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Checking through the old postings I found this heading - seemed to be the most appropriate.

Just got this "beauty" today. The balance staff is good! And the hands would set if the minute hand could clear the curled up hour hand stub! Smile I'm going to try and revive it.

I'll obviously need some hands and who knows what else. I'll most likely be posting in the WTB section before it's over.

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
I love it if is not ticking I will make him toc.
I take it as is Razz

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Dave, If you want, I can look at helping revive your Seth, it took about a year for Sheila's. The following "caps" Sheila's Seth when it was finished;

posted June 09, 2009 14:48

The "Wrap" on Sheila's rescued Orphan Seth Thomas watch to restore it to where it is now took the following help;

Brian Cavenaugh;
Regulator Whip
Main Wheel with staff (Complete)
Cannon Pinion
2 Pillar Screws
Hour and Minute Hands
Hour Wheel to fit Cannon Pinion

Dave A.
Cleaning and restoration work
Base Metal Case
Regulator Adjustment Screw
Dial
Second Hand
1 Pillar Screw
re-staff and Poise Balance Wheel

Thank You everybody!

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Dial Side;

posted
I wondered who got that one, Dave.

Posts: 2962 | Location: Western New York in the USA | Registered: March 24, 2008
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Thanks guys for the interest and offers.
I'll definitely consider how to proceed.

I love trying to clean these up, the dirtier the better. But frequently I run into more than I can handle. I know this one is low on the scale, but I thoroughly enjoy seeing an old dog brought back to it's former glory.

That's a beautiful watch Dave, good job!

What type of hands belong on this model 2?

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
posted
That gilt Model 2 should have light spade hands with the cursive signature:

Posts: 2962 | Location: Western New York in the USA | Registered: March 24, 2008
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Here's the dial after a 2 minute cleaning and the faceplate prior to cleaning.

Dave Turner

posted
Everything under the dial is there, including the lever spring and the yoke spring. There's hope yet!

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
That's what I thought. Looks good so far.
It's fully wound. I haven't yet let down the mainspring.

Dave Turner

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
I spoke too soon. Just found a broken roller jewel!!
But the drive train looks find and the staff is good.

Dave Turner

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Well, it looks better after cleaning - all I need now is parts.

Dave Turner

IHC Life Member
Picture of Robert V. Jones
posted
Dave I have a container with a set of hands that says Seth Thomas but they are not thin spade like Eric said you need. They are a little thicker.

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006