Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Can Heat Activate Movement? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Stephanie O'Neil
posted
Recently I read in an ebay listing "the watch starts to run and keeps going if the case is slightly warm, when I got it I thought it was not running, but left on a sunlit windowsill it started to run."

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

The watch is an English fusee movement, circa 1852.

Can heat activate movement?

Stephanie O'Neil
NAWCC Member 143979

Posts: 1419 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana USA | Registered: April 01, 2003
posted
Maybe if the oil is old and a little bit on the thick side. It may heat up a little and begin to run although I would imagine pretty slowly.

Aaron

Posts: 945 | Location: Geneva, Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

A lot of re-sellers heat watches by placing them over a gas range pilot light or the use of a hair-dryer to as Aaron said soften the old lubricants. This allows the seller to say in all honesty the watch is at least in running condition.

I tried this on a watch stored for a long time dial-up and not running. Turned it dial-down and heated it a bit. The watch then runs. I'ts no cure, but just as a sunny day warms us and gets us moving the same is true of a lazy old watch!

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 274
Life Member 27
Picture of Jack Goldstein
posted
Its also a good way to get hairlines. Some people will always take things to the limit! I can see it now, holding the watch on a stick, like a hotdog, and holding it over the stove, "but it was only low heat"!!! Whats next, the microwave Big Grin????????????

Jack Goldstein
NAWCC 0152932
IHC 185 #274
http://www.ball-rr-pocketwatches.com

Posts: 465 | Location: Tontitown, Arkansas USA | Registered: July 25, 2003
Picture of Stephanie O'Neil
posted
Aaron, thanks for your opinion.

Lindell,
Talk about learn something new and different everyday!
Thanks

Jack G. Big Grin

Stephanie O'Neil
NAWCC Member 143979

Posts: 1419 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana USA | Registered: April 01, 2003