• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Is this case solid, or gold filled? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I got this Hamilton 941 on ebay a few months back. The inside of the cuvette is marked 'I.W.C Co., Elgin Ill, Napoleon 14K' and a serial no. The seller's listing said it was probably gold filled, and I bid accordingly. In hand it feels hefty & rigid like gold-filled.

I'm wondering, however, since the only marking is 14K, might it be solid? Although there's some wear to the engraving, there's no brassing except to the pendant and bow. You can see in the picture some lighter, almost silvery, discoloration inside the cuvette. I don't know much about Illinois Watch Case Co. cases, nor what 'Napoleon' indicates. Any thoughts?

Norman

Inner cuvette

Posts: 153 | Location: Northeastern United States | Registered: December 18, 2005
posted
Here's the back cover of the watch, which is identical to the front cover.

back cover

Posts: 153 | Location: Northeastern United States | Registered: December 18, 2005
posted
Dial

face

posted
And the seller's pic of the movement of this 1903 single roller 941. The picture doesn't do it justice, it's perfectly clean & bright with bright gold lettering. And this case isn't original to this watch.

Norman

Movement

posted
Norman,

A couple of pictures of trademarks from the Illinois Watch Case Co..

Posts: 638 | Location: Green Bay, Wisconsin USA | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
And another

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Norman,

As John pointed out the "Napolean" was only a 10 year case, so the gold layer was pretty thin. As a rule model names such as shown on the references John provided usually indicate a gold-filled case. On some of the earliest gold-filled cases the content of the gold layering is also shown which can be confusing.

Unfortunately we see sellers claiming such cases are solid-gold when the facts are readily available.

Many thanks to you John!

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Thanks, John and Lindell, that's the info I was looking for. As I said, the case feels too "solid" to be solid gold. But it shows that even a cheap '10 year' case can look good after a hundred years or so. The dealer represented it as gold-filled; had he not done so, I'm sure it would have gone for much more than I wanted to pay, especially since I like to be able to carry the watches I buy.

I know about "J.Boss", and guarantee periods. Then there were the ploys like the case on my Burlington watch "14K gold strata" or the cases that proclaim in big letters 'MADE OF TWO SOLID GOLD PLATES' and in smaller letters 'over composition'. So now I've added IWC co.s 'Napoleon' to my watch case dictionary (and a number of others too, thanks to John's pics).

Norman

posted
Norman,

Illinois Watch Case Co made some pretty nice cases in gold filled.. Also many interesting tu-tones.. with gold fill and silver..If you ever get a chance, pick up a copy of this book, loaded with info on watch case marks..

posted
Thanks John, I meant to ask what book you were using.

Norman

Picture of Frank Juchniewicz
posted
I have a question on the "Ramona" case that they made. Is it 10K or14K gold filled? It being a 20 year case, I was wondering.

Frank

Posts: 440 | Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: January 28, 2003
12-Size Expert
Picture of Robert Schussel
posted
Frank
Twenty(20) year cases were typically 10kt Gold filled and 25 year cases were normally 14kt gold filled.
I am sure there were many exceptions.

Bob

Posts: 621 | Location: Vallejo, California U.S.A. | Registered: July 10, 2004
Picture of Frank Juchniewicz
posted
Bob, thanks for that information. It looked like a 10k case.

Frank

Posts: 440 | Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: January 28, 2003