Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton 975 that only ticks when wound "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Dan Carter
posted
I cleaned and put together a broken Hamilton 975 (mainspring and balance staff) and when I got everything back together I found out that the watch ticks when I wind it, but does nothing when left alone and fully wound. It ticks / moves with every wind. Any ideas?

Posts: 407 | Location: Northern Virginia in the USA | Registered: October 08, 2011
posted
`Sounds like something is putting a drag on the gear train, perhaps a cracked jewel?

Posts: 1143 | Location: Chicago, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 05, 2010
Picture of Richard Romero
posted
I would unwind it and pull the pallet. Then make sure all the gears move easily. I had a similar problem recently and it ended up being a bent center wheel. After straightening the center wheel the movement works well.

RR

Posts: 1413 | Location: Fremont, California in the USA | Registered: February 06, 2010
Picture of Gary E. Foster
posted
Have you tried putting the watch in different positions, face down, pendant right, left? If you have a cracked jewel, the watch may run when placed in another position. Also I would check the hairspring to see if it's dragging.

Gary

Posts: 1012 | Location: Western Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Did the train pass the free spin test OK with the mainspring driving it? That means with some wind pressure it free spins down and recoils slightly.

If "YES" check the escapement for free motion and the Hairspring for interference with the Balance wheel cross bar or Balance Cock. Also, de-magnetize it.

A few years back I described Re-assembly and Free spin test this way . . .

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...871021523#6871021523

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
Picture of Dan Carter
posted
Yes, it does pass the spin test but I have not checked the escapement. I will also take a look for any cracked jewels. I will report back what I find. Thanks!

Posts: 407 | Location: Northern Virginia in the USA | Registered: October 08, 2011
Picture of Dan Carter
posted
Ok, I spoke too soon. I didn't do the spin test correctly. The crown wheel was actually binding on the minute wheel and would turn when I would turn the gears. I had to tap the gear off the axle a little and things started working pretty good. It was seated at the top of against the smaller gear and did not have any clearance. Thanks for everyone's help! Now onto the next project!
Dan