• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Help with a Illinois watch. "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I collect Hamilton 992's. So any information about this Illinois will help. Do the hands, case and dial look correct? Any information on the year of production would also help. Thank's for any help or information.

Bernie Babauta

Posts: 35 | Location: Kentucky in the USA | Registered: January 14, 2014
posted
more pics.

posted
one more

posted
back

posted
inside cover

posted
better pic

posted
Good evening and welcome to IHC185

If I have read the serial number correctly i.e. 5510722, then the following information from the pocket watch database would appear to apply.

Grade: 161A

Type IIB 60hr. Elinvar.
Movement Serial Number: 5510722
Estimated Production Year: 1932
Run Quantity: 2,000
Size: 16s
Jewels: 21j
Movement Configuration: Openface

Movement Finish: Nickel
Model: 15
Movement Setting: Lever
Plate: 3/4 Plate
Double Roller: Yes
Barrel: 60-Hr. Motor
Adjusted: Yes
Adjusted to Positions: 6
Adjusted to Temperature: Yes
Railroad Grade: Yes
Notes: Type IIB 60hr. Elinvar.

Those folks with access to the Illinois records will be able to confirm or deny these findings.

Regards

David

Posts: 72 | Location: Clacton On Sea, Essex, in the United Kingdom | Registered: March 15, 2014
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Bernadino, as a Hamilton collector you will find many kindred spirits in IHC185. Our many resources of parts, service and research will reward you many times over our $12.00 registration maintenance fee.

Your Illinois Bunn Special 161A watch was among the last made in 1932 at the Springfield Illinois factory. By 1933 management was moved under the direct control of Hamilton Watch Co. personnel.

So your Illinois 161A Bunn Special s/n5510722 is a "crossover" piece that connects your selected collection of Hamilton work to some of the finest pocket watches made in USA which also were the first to manufacture high accuracy and production 60 hour movements.

Your 161A variant enjoyed production of only a few over 5500 movements included the 1790 piece run that yours was in. The case is a Bunn Special, but has me puzzled a little bit with the Bow design. Could Be a service replacement.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Member 1016
posted
I'm not an expert but I think it looks like a very nice watch. The bow looks correct but possibly worn. Am I missing something here?

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
I can't read everything in the case back but the serial number seems to be in the range of a 1928 production Bunn First Model case. Also the hands look to be plum colored and if they are I believe the watch year of 1932 is well into the blue hands.

Stev

Posts: 1980 | Location: Kentucky in the USA | Registered: March 18, 2008
IHC Member 1338
posted
I think 1931 was the last year for the 1st model case, wasn't it? I'm seeing a Model 29 case on most of these 161 series of this vintage

If you look in the Illinois section here, I believe you'll find most or all of the info you're searching for.

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

Posts: 3052 | Location: Ramsey, Illinois in the USA | Registered: December 15, 2008