• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

***IHC PW EXPERTS HELP REQUESTED*** "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I'd like to enlist the help of our IHC PW Experts in properly identifying this beautiful Am. Watch Co. movement. From what little I've been able to find out it seems to be a model '72, 15-16 J, LS, SW. In looking up the Waltham serial number data base it looks as if there may only have been 300 made. (Is this possible ?? ). You'll also note it has "Woerds Patents" engraved under the balance wheel.

I'm really trying to find out the rarity of this particular item.

By the way it's currently been removed from of a beautiful Solid 14K Box Hinge HC.

Note:- I can supply other pictures if required.

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

Waltham'72 Woerds Regulator

Posts: 976 | Location: Texas in the U.S.A. | Registered: January 27, 2004
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
This 15j Am.Watch Co. grade is actually a relatively common grade of 1872-model 16-size Waltham. It is from a run of 200 movements, but there were many more production runs, probably totaling several thousand movements. What is uncommon is to find one still in its original gold case -- so many of these have been melted down. Any 1872 model is a delight to work on and study. They are very well made watches - I believe from Waltham's Nashua department. Woerd held many patents and I am not sure which ones are referred to by the notation on your watch.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Dave,
Very interesting.
I can't wait to see what others say about this one. Great learning lesson for me.
Thank you for this post.

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
posted
Dave,
How about showing a picture of the beautiful Solid 14K Box Hinge HC?

posted
Jerry,
Thanks for the post, I like learning about Walthams, and this one is great to know.
I didn't know about the case, good stuff!

Phil,
Here, Here, I would like to see it too!

By the way, very interesting damascening on that watch.

Sheila

Picture of Tom McIntyre
posted
The engraving under the balance refers to the square roller jewel and pincer shaped fork on the balance.

Woerd also held the patent on the winding mechanism on the 1872 model.

The American Watch Co. garde of these are considered by many seasoned collectors to be the finest American watches when rated on both beauty and performance. Here is a group shot of my set.

Posts: 633 | Location: Boston, Massachusetts USA | Registered: November 25, 2002
posted
Tom,
OH MY, they really ARE outstanding. Beautiful.
I even understood what you were explaining!
I never noticed much difference in a balance or anything else, until everyone started talking about all the differences in so many parts. This is wonderful information for me.

Your watches are magnificent.

Thank you for sharing them.
I didn't notice them on your site when I was searching it the other day.

You have some wonderful watches shared on that website. Only one problem, I'm drooling by the time I leave it! Big Grin

Sheila

Picture of Carlos Flores
posted
Tom,
Beautiful set as Sheila said, thanks for posting as a group. I like the winding wheels in the one middle, upper side.
One question, is there something that made them a set?, like being examples from different runs, etc.
Regards

Posts: 325 | Location: Near Mexico City, Mexico | Registered: July 05, 2003
posted
Hi all
The tadpole regulator on your watch interests me Dave. Can anyone throw any light on how many different regulators AWC used on the Model 72 premium grades?
They sure are one beautiful watch, one of my favourites!
Regards
Ray McCormick

Posts: 77 | Location: Ashburton, New Zealand | Registered: June 06, 2004
Picture of Tom McIntyre
posted
Carlos,

They are a set only in the sense that they are what I own. They are all the American Watch Co. grade. I have quite a few other 1872 models, but not in American grade.

The five watches include an example from the first run, 670,012; a hunting case example with the Woerd's Balance marking on the plate, 999,988; an open face example with the Woerd's balance marking, 1,427,901; and two later high finish American grade examples, 2,605,046 and 2,605,071.

Neither of the Woerd's patent watches actually contain the balance.

Watches from the early runs are generally 18 jewel in American grade and have a less flamboyant finish. The later watches are 21 jewel with "no holds barred" decoration.

Ray, I believe that all the American grade watches used the tadpole regulator, but there may be a few exceptions.

Posts: 633 | Location: Boston, Massachusetts USA | Registered: November 25, 2002
posted
Thank you all, particularly Tom for showing us such a set of really outstanding watches.

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

Posts: 976 | Location: Texas in the U.S.A. | Registered: January 27, 2004