Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Stem compatibility question "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1824
posted
Did a search on this but could not find any info. I am looking at a nice Philly Silverode case. It states the stem fits 16 size Elgin. What are the chances it would also be compatible with an Illinois 16 size movement?

Thanks,
Michael

Posts: 148 | Location: Davie, Florida in the USA | Registered: March 26, 2013

posted
Michael,

75% of the time there are no issues with standard stems. You run into trouble if the stem/sleeve are setup for lever set only ( basically the sleeve does not allow enough travel upwards of the stem to set the time on a a pendant set movement). You might want to ask the seller if the stem pops up. Therefore, you can use either a lever set or pendant set movement if you need to change gears down the road. Also, there can be differences in the square portion of the stem - as far as thickness. With some skill you can gently file down the thickness if need be or decrease the length of the stem. However, if the stem is not thick enough to wind the movement, you start the quest to find one that will work. Good times!!!

Posts: 7178 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2011
IHC Member 1824
posted
Thank you for the information Jon. Not sure I want to take the risk for what it costs. I don’t really have the skills to correct it if it does not fit properly. Too bad as I have been looking for a Train engraved case for Illinois 16 for some time (match up real well with the 18 size I bought from you).

Posts: 148 | Location: Davie, Florida in the USA | Registered: March 26, 2013