WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Advice on Collecting Factory Cased RR from the 1920s "Click" to Login or Register 
12-Size Expert
Picture of Robert Schussel
posted
Advice on Collecting Factory Cased RR from the 1920s

I am looking for some advice on which RR watches( specfic grades) people would suggest.

My goal is to have a nice factory cased example from each of the major companies that were still in business in the 1920s.

I am not looking for expensive ultra rare examples but rather a nice example.For example, I would rather have a nice Type III Bunn Special in above condition (that I could afford) than a Type 161 or 163 in average or fair condition.

Currently,I own the following
1)21j BW Raymond in a factory case.
2)23j Hampden Special Railway
3)21j Bunn Special factory cased
4)21j Ball factory cased with stirup bow
5)21j Hamilton 992B factory cased

The companies I am looking for recommendations include:
a)South Bend
b)Hamilton
c)Waltham (21j or 23j)
d)Ball

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Bob

Posts: 621 | Location: Vallejo, California U.S.A. | Registered: July 10, 2004
IHC Life Member
posted
Bob, what about Howards? They made some super rr watches which were factory cased.

Larry

Posts: 661 | Location: Wisconsin in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 07, 2002
12-Size Expert
posted
Larry
I guess dementia set in early.Yes Howard should be added to the list.

Which grade or grades might you recommend where I could get a good example( ie above average condition) without getting a second mortage.

I do have a OF pendant set 23j unmarked series O in a 14kt Howard case.( Due to fuzzy pictures I was able to pick it up for $245 this year).

Thanks
Bob

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Bob,

Congrats on the Series O Howard, nice buy! Another nice Howard factory-cased RR watch is the Series 11 Railroad Chronometer, which looks very sharp in a Howard bar-over-crown case and also has a cool movement. Took a quick picture of my WGF example:

Series 11 Railroad Chronometer in WGF B-O-C Howard/Keystone Case (circa 1914)

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
Picture of Clyde Roper
posted
I agree with Ed the Series 11 Howard's are perhaps one of the "coolest" looking early 20th century RR watches, at least to my eyes...I love the coin edge bezel of the bar over crown case, too.

I don't have one YET, and my primary interest is the Hamilton line of RRs, but the Howard 11 is on my short list of RR watches I love and must have at least one example of.

Posts: 203 | Location: North Carolina in the USA | Registered: December 05, 2006
12-Size Expert
posted
Its nice to know that a 15 jewel 12 size watch would be so admired by the RR crowd--see photo below.

Howard adapted the New York Standard layout for the series 11.

I do agree that in the right case the Series 11 looks pretty good.

Bob

inspiration for series 11

posted
Larry,

What browser do you use? I had that "Edit Freeze" problem when I used Yahoo. I switched to Mozilla Firefox and the problem went away.

Joe

Posts: 450 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri U.S.A. | Registered: October 10, 2004
IHC Life Member
posted
Microsoft IE 6 seems to cause problems. I have IE 7 on another computer which works fine.

Larry

Posts: 661 | Location: Wisconsin in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 07, 2002
Picture of Clyde Roper
posted
I'm another fan of firefox, seems to work well for me...though I am certainly no computer guru. I just find mozilla/firefox convenient to use (Control + T to open a new window, and the spell check, pop-up blocker, etc.)

Posts: 203 | Location: North Carolina in the USA | Registered: December 05, 2006
posted
Robert,

What kind of dial is on your NY Standard......I usually park my NY next to the Howard as an example of what little guys can grow into..if they put there mind to it.. Wink They both keep identical accurate time..

Posts: 638 | Location: Green Bay, Wisconsin USA | Registered: November 22, 2002
12-Size Expert
posted
John
As I don't have a digital camera I need to describe the dial. It is white with raised gold colored numbers. Hardly the RR look.

I am hoping I can get some input on a Hamilton,South Bend and Waltham grade that would meet my criteria.

Bob

posted
Robert,

They really look similiar...

posted
And the dials..

posted
Robert,

Every RR colloction should have a Hamilton 950 or 950B..I would also recomend an Elgin or Waltham wind indicator.. I have an Elgin 16 size, but am still looking for an 18 size w/ indicator..

12-Size Expert
posted
If anyone has a Howard series 11 in above average condition that is in a Howard bar over crown case I would be interested in purchasing it .
I am willing to pay for above average condition.

Bob