• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Model "83 Santa Fe Route "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Last night, a friend showed me an 83 Waltham with the Santa Fe Route marking on the movement. I looked up the serial number and found that it was a Crescent St. grade, 17 jewels and a hunting model. The dial matches one shown in the book Railroad Timekeeping, which came from the 1996 seminar in Rockford. (See item 30, page 12) My friend's dial is the same dial, but puts the word Waltham under the 12, and lacks the words Santa Fe Route. Any thoughts on these watches and dials?

Posts: 767 | Location: Los Osos, California USA | Registered: December 12, 2002
Picture of R. J. Lucke
posted
Jerry,

It is my belief that these 83 model SF Routes should have a similarly marked dial. There are at least a couple dial variations which include the railroad style in single sunk and a more standard double sunk version. All seem to have the same "SF Route" logo below the 12. If I remember correctly, some (but not all) of the dials are also marked Waltham in an arc above the seconds bit.

I have also seen a couple of these watches with dials marked "Santa Fe Railway System, Standard Dial". These may also be original.

Having said all this, I have also seen a couple examples with the dial you describe. I know at least one of these that was added by the seller as a close approximation to the original.

Hope this helps.

Rhett Lucke

Posts: 229 | Location: Nebraska in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 24, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

I agree completely with Rhett's comments, any watch like this is always far more desirable when everything matches.

For decades on-end, a combination of dial collectors and greedy re-sellers removed the original dials from such watches. The dial collector would pull the original dial, replace it with something more ordinary and sell the watch, secreting the dial in his collection. Similarly, re-sellers swapped dials between a watch such as this and a more common model. They then had two of the more unusual watch to sell to unsuspecting buyers.

These practices were especially notorious on the various Ball Brotherhoods. Today it can be difficult for us to set things right.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of R. J. Lucke
posted
Lindell,

I can definately see the motivation for someone splitting up a dial and movement in an attempt to create two rare watches, but most dial collectors I know are also watch collectors and wouldnt think of splitting up an original matched set (i.e. Santa Fe Route movement and dial).

I would think that most of these watches with missing dials are the result of someone replacing a damaged dial in an attempt to "upgrade" the watch. In the past I have seen many of these type of movements without the correct dial, but only a handful of the dials on other movements.

Rhett

Rhett Lucke

Posts: 229 | Location: Nebraska in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 24, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Rhett, you are probably right that most of the dial replacing over the years has been done with good intentions in mind. In my explanation above I was just trying to point out a practice that really irks me, that of separating the matching dial and movement to falsely "create" to watches of the same name for short term gain.

So many Ball Brotherhoods have met the sad fate I described above we have actually reached the point where many modern-day collectors are confused as to the original configuration. Frown

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002