WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

New York Central Railroad Pocket Watch query - Swiss mvt "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Roddy J. Brunton
posted
New York Central pocket watch movement.

Roddy JB

Posts: 1385 | Location: Richmond, British Columbia in Canada | Registered: January 07, 2009
IHC Member 1650
posted
Roddy

I have a similar (but different) watch labeled "Grand Central". While it's a decent runner, it's a Swiss fake. It's in a fancy case hunting case, but if the case ever had any gold content, it was very little. I suspect it was brass from the start.

I have a couple of these. They are interesting even if they are low quality.

I suspect yours would fall in the same category, but hopefully someone here with more knowledge will either confirm or disprove my suspicion.

Regards

Doug

Posts: 370 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: November 17, 2011
IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
Ahw another Swiss "Fake" although they are real Swiss watches trying to pass as American watches. This must be a newer one that was made after the FTC made them start putting the country of manufacture on them as can be seen in very light inscription by the balance. The jewels look like hard plastic to me. It has fake winding wheels (no click) that remind me of the New York Standards that had fake winding wheels with no clicks. the NYS had different names like La Salle and others. Some people collect these you can get a lot of watches for little dollars. I have bought these just for the cases as many have nice cases.

Harry

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011
posted
I started to put a collection of these toghther , the workmanship is pretty good but without a compensated balance it fails , I had one running on my desk next to a bunn and the first cold day it went from =-2 mins to -15 mins !

Posts: 1574 | Location: Maryland in the USA | Registered: June 04, 2015