March 05, 2019, 13:34
Roddy J. Brunton
New York Central Railroad Pocket Watch query - Swiss mvt
New York Central pocket watch movement.

Roddy JB
March 05, 2019, 16:49
Douglas D. Weaver
Roddy

I have a similar (but different) watch labeled "Grand Central". While it's a decent runner, it's a Swiss fake. It's in a fancy case hunting case, but if the case ever had any gold content, it was very little. I suspect it was brass from the start.

I have a couple of these. They are interesting even if they are low quality.

I suspect yours would fall in the same category, but hopefully someone here with more knowledge will either confirm or disprove my suspicion.

Regards

Doug

March 06, 2019, 14:54
Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
Ahw another Swiss "Fake" although they are real Swiss watches trying to pass as American watches. This must be a newer one that was made after the FTC made them start putting the country of manufacture on them as can be seen in very light inscription by the balance. The jewels look like hard plastic to me. It has fake winding wheels (no click) that remind me of the New York Standards that had fake winding wheels with no clicks. the NYS had different names like La Salle and others. Some people collect these you can get a lot of watches for little dollars. I have bought these just for the cases as many have nice cases.

Harry
March 08, 2019, 22:16
Kevin Hoffman
I started to put a collection of these toghther , the workmanship is pretty good but without a compensated balance it fails , I had one running on my desk next to a bunn and the first cold day it went from =-2 mins to -15 mins !