Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Late 992B Melamine dial "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
This Melamine dial arrived on a C506177 992B in a SST case. A new dial may be in order as I am presently cleaning the watch which has been kept in extremely pristine serviced condition. For the sake of movement this is a fine "keeper".

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
HI David, since we are on the subject, here is the melamine dial of my 992B C293161 showing the usual defects: crack at 3 and potmarks at 11, crudely repaired. I don't know if I could find a replacement...more likely I'll have to live with it. What do tou think?
Regards,
Peter

Posts: 192 | Location: Vicenza in Italy | Registered: February 04, 2009
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Peter, I think we are in the same "pickle". Too bad Hamilton got sold a bill of goods on that material. This 992B was much loved by it's first "keeper". I imagine the feeling of confidence that came with seeing this in the AM when getting ready to wind it up and go to work. Exceptional time accuracy . . .

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
and a movement that certainly could lay claim to "the last word" for fit and function . . .

IHC Life Member
Picture of Larry Lamphier
posted
Peter, they are out there, but when you are trying to replace 50 to 60 of them, it can get pretty frustrating.

Regards,
Larry

Posts: 2733 | Location: Northeastern United States | Registered: February 28, 2010
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Early on, I found/had a pristine NOS melamine RWS dial, but it showed a lot of dirt, dust, and lint on it.

Unknowingly, I took the dial and cleaned the debris off with a wipe of an alcohol saturated pad. It turned out spotless. I then put it on a 992B, cased it and screwed the bezel on tight, and retired for the night.

Imagine my horror upon awakening the next morning and finding this beautiful, pristine dial now had a thousand cracks on it from the reaction of the plastic to the alcohol cleaning Eek

It was a $125 lesson learned the hard way. Melamine hates alcohol and reacts very unfavorable. Lesson learned via : the hard way Frown

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Phillip Sanchez
posted
Guys you are in luck as I saw this post, went digging in my dials and came up with a nice one. Put is straight away in our auction.
Melamine dial

Posts: 4975 | Location: North Georgia Mountains in the U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2006
posted
Phil,
Thank you for offering the dial but it seems I'm up against some tough competition. I cannot justify this kind of extra expense on this particolar watch, since I already payed full price for it. It will have to do as it is.

Regards,
Peter

Posts: 192 | Location: Vicenza in Italy | Registered: February 04, 2009
IHC Life Member
Picture of Richard M. Jones
posted
I have been messing around with some dentistry material, supplied by a good friend, trying to find a way to repair the porcelain enamel dials and while it never occurred to me to try working on the melamine dials I will. Some of the material available for crowns and fillings is interesting and I will let you know how it goes. It is difficult to keep the crown material adhered to the copper found on dials and any suggestions are welcomed!

Deacon

Posts: 1004 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: February 14, 2009