Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Name in Bezel "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1622
posted
While cleaning up one of my watches, I noticed a name written inside of the bezel. Does anyone have any information on this fellow?
Thanks,
Joey

Posts: 177 | Location: Kentucky in the USA | Registered: October 16, 2011
IHC Member 1555
posted
A nice find Joey, appears to be George. E. Townsend, author of books such as "The Pocket Watch that Made the Dollar Famous", "Everything You Wanted to Know about American Watches and Didn't Know Who to Ask (along with others such as Roy Ehrhardt & Ralph Whitmer)" and the "American Staff Interchangeability List" books, just to name a very small few.

Also a great place to have the signature instead of the way some people have done it with it scratched across the middle of the inner case backSmile Would you be able to tell me what watch was present in the case and brand of case & model if possible when you have a chance?

Posts: 2262 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011
IHC Member 1622
posted
Bila,
It is always a bit refreshing to find something different on these old pocket watches. The movement associated with this bezel is a 17 jewel Illinois Time King. The movement runs, just needs a bath. The case is a Tivoli, with a dust cover. Case is in really great shape.

IHC Member 1555
posted
Surprises are always good, thanks JoeySmile

Posts: 2262 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011
IHC Member 1892
posted
Hi Joey: Thanks for posting this. I have never seen this done before. What a great idea. If you have only one of these that person is as good as any. Have a Merry Christmas.

Posts: 361 | Location: Kincardine, Ontario in Canada | Registered: November 25, 2013
IHC Member 1622
posted
John,
Thanks for commenting on the post. Very neat way to label your stuff without destroying the case or movement.
Happy Holidays