• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Plastic Crystal on 992B ? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Most of the pocket watches I have collected are pre-1900. I was wanting a sturdy, dependable PW for everyday carrying, so I recently splurged on a Hamilton 992B in a model 11 GF case, circa 1949. It's a super timekeeper, keeping time within a minute per week. It has a melamine dial, however, and a plastic crystal, which has a scuff on it and gives it a sort of cheap feel. Did these watches originally come with plastic crystals? I have some 19th C watches with nice thick glass crystals. What kind of crystal is correct for this particular watch?

Posts: 156 | Location: Columbus, Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 16, 2011
posted
I think it would look great with a slightly thicker crystal , William White would be your man https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/...1029012/m/6183985977

Posts: 1574 | Location: Maryland in the USA | Registered: June 04, 2015
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Dennis,

Melamine dials are correct, original equipment for 1949 issue 992B examples but the plastic crystal is wrong and should be replaced.

William's "OEM (Original Equipment Manufacture) Hamilton 992B Mi-Chevee" is the only correct style crystal for your watch. There is a range in diameter because of minor variations from case-to-case so it is best to send William your bezel for an absolutely flawless fit and in doing so I guarantee you will be delighted.

OEM Hamilton 992B Mi-Chevee
Thickness: 1.0mm
Diameter Range: 41.0 - 44.0 mm
Material: Schott crown glass
Edge appearance: neutral
Price: $12

Kevin is right and his link takes you there, take time to read all the posts!

Suggest you use USPS Priority Mail and for insurance (if you would be more comfortable) a replacement case is in the 3 to 4 hundred range.

William and his crystals have earned my highest recommendation.

Best always,

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Aloha, William's crystals are the best! William has furnished me with several crystals proving fast, dependable and absolutely perfect results. Don't hesitate sending in your case for a new crystal. You will NOT be disappointed. Mahalo, Fred

Posts: 106 | Location: Honolulu, Hawaii in the USA | Registered: June 12, 2016
posted
Thanks, guys! I'll get in touch with William about replacing this crystal and any other plastics I find in my collection.

Posts: 156 | Location: Columbus, Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 16, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of William D. White
posted
Dennis, Kevin, Lindell & Fred,

The only reason I ever started making glass crystals is because during my watch repair years, I just absolutely hated plastic crystals! Not having decent replacement crystals available drove me nuts!

I have since developed my own process of thermo-forming mi-chevee profiled crystals from flat sheet glass (Schott B270i or Swiss Electroverre) and the finished crystals are the same as OEM in form, but the sizing and quality are superior. These crystals are indeed correct for 16s Hamilton factory cased RR's; plastic crystals are not.

William

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
William, On a Hamilton 992 for example, how difficult is it to properly size and install the crystal?
Assuming the case is original from the factory.

Dave Turner

Posts: 1978 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of William D. White
posted
Hi Dave,

Not difficult with some experience and the proper tools and this is true for all open face cases. an accurate digital caliper is essential.

William

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Thanks, That's about what I thought. My experience in getting the correct size and installation ran about 40%. And I put my talent, or lack of it, on the shelf.
In this case, if I needed one I'd send the whole thing to you! Smile

Dave Turner

Posts: 1978 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011